9 Assisted Living Facilities in Hampton City, VA
The average cost of assisted living in Hampton City is $2,599 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 29 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Hampton City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Hampton City 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Norfolk City with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 11 families in Hampton City find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Hampton City, call (855) 863-8283.
Browse Assisted Living by city: Assisted Living in Hampton
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hampton City
Hampton City was the first continuous English-speaking settlement in the country, and today, the area is home to more than 134,000 residents, around 15% of which are 65 or older. To serve this part of the population, there are nine assisted living facilities located throughout the county.
Assisted living facilities in Virginia are designated as either providing residential living care or assisted living care. However, both of these categories are regulated and licensed by the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hampton City
- The air in Hampton City gets high overall ratings from the American Lung Association, receiving a B rating for ozone levels, an A rating for 24-hour particle pollution levels and a passing grade for annual particle pollution. This is good news for seniors who struggle with respiratory conditions.
- When it comes to taxes, Virginia is generally considered a tax-friendly state for retirees. This is because Social Security income is not taxed, and other common forms of retirement income, such as 401(k)s and IRAs, are deductible up to $12,000.
- Seniors in Hampton City can get around town and the surrounding areas via the Hampton Roads Transit system. Reduced fares are available to seniors with ID.
- The cost of living could be prohibitive for Hampton City seniors who are on a fixed income. While the overall cost of living is on par with the national average and 8% below the state average, health care costs are 8% higher than both the U.S. and Virginia average which could impact seniors in assisted living.
- Hampton City has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Hampton Senior Center, an organization that provides seniors with leisure and fitness activities as well as organizing group trips.
- The Hampton City area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Sentara CarePlex Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Hampton City
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Hampton City start around $2,599 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Hampton City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hampton City
Seniors considering assisted living in Hampton City may be able to get assistance from the Virginia Auxiliary Grant program to help make assisted living more affordable. This program is available to those already receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and the money can go toward expenses related to personal maintenance and care or room and board.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Hampton City
Hampton City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Hampton City, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hampton City
Hampton City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Hampton City, VA
Assisted Living near Hampton City, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Hampton City
Review of Golden Years
Very caring staff. A community of individual caring that takes time to truly listen to the residents. Continually striving to meet their needs. A place you can go home and know your loved one is... Read more
Review of Golden Years
The staff at Golden Years had no clue that we were coming because she said they don't accept visitors on Saturday, but she still showed us around. I didn't like the place. It had all kinds of behav... Read more
Review of The Devonshire
Recently, during a very challenging period and life-changing transition for a family member, we researched through over a dozen senior living facilities, and we were led to “The Devonshire”. Th... Read more