18 Assisted Living Facilities near Macungie, PA
Also serving communities of Limeport.
There are 18 Assisted Living Facilities in the Macungie area, with 3 in Macungie and 15 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Macungie is $3,735 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450.
To help you with your search, browse the 98 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Macungie. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Macungie 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Boyertown with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Macungie, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Macungie, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Macungie
Macungie was founded in 1776 and is the second oldest suburb of Leigh County. As such the borough name "Macungie" comes from an indigenous word meaning "feeding place of the bears," which explains why the town's seal has a bear on it. Today, the town residents don't have to worry about bears, though, when they choose from the three assisted living facilities available in Macungie or the 94 nearby assisted living communities in other developed towns like Bethlehem, Boyerstown or Harleysville. These assisted living facilities all provide room and board within a safe residential environment, with personal care services available that include medication management and assistance with the activities of daily living, such as bathing, dressing and grooming. In Macungie, as in the rest of Pennsylvania, assisted living residences are licensed by the state Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Macungie
- The nearby mountains shelter Macungie from harsh winter weather, keeping the borough warmer and milder than the weather experienced in nearby Philadelphia, though snow and freezing rain occur. Summer tends to be hot and humid, with frequent, heavy thunderstorms, and spring storms sometimes cause flooding.
- Macungie is located in Lehigh County, which is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- The cost of living in Macungie is 2.1 percent below the average cost of living in the United States, making it an attractive location for seniors living on a fixed budget.
- The Macungie area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Lehigh Valley Health Network's Health Center at Macungie, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The Lehigh and Northampton Transportation Authority (LANTA) provides flexible bus service via reservation with connections to fixed-route buses throughout the Lehigh Valley. Seniors ride for free when they show their Pennsylvania Senior Travel ID.
- Macungie has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Lehigh County Aging and Adult Services Department, an organization that provides health insurance counseling, protective services, and prescription discount cards. While there are no senior centers in Macungie, 11 are available throughout the Lehigh Valley.
Paying for Assisted Living in Macungie
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Macungie start around $3,735 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Macungie and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Macungie
While Pennsylvania doesn't have any government programs to provide financial assistance to seniors who need help paying their assisted living expenses, the state's PACE and PACENET programs help eligible, low-income seniors pay for prescription medications. (These programs shouldn't be confused with Medicaid's PACE program.) The state also provides a supplement to those who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Macungie
Macungie and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Macungie, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Macungie
Macungie-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Macungie
Review of Legend of Allentown
Legend of Allentown was brand new and extremely beautiful. It was not like a nursing care facility at all. It was more like town home living, but in a building type setting. It was very bright and ... Read more
Review of Legend of Allentown
We were looking for a place for my Mom last year after it was determined it was not good for her to live alone any longer. She was at another local facility in Center Valley for 3 weeks and was no... Read more
Review of Legend of Allentown
I recently visited a friend at Legend Of Allentown and although he seem to be happy and taken care of I was very disappointed in the employees that work at this establishment I’ve never seen so mu... Read more