4 Assisted Living Facilities in Columbus, NE
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Columbus. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Columbus 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Columbus, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Columbus
The city of Columbus, located in Platte County, Nebraska, has an average population of around 22,668 people, of which over 21 percent are aged 60 and up. Four assisted living facilities (ALFs) are located in the area to help accommodate the large senior population. Each community is regulated and licensed by the Nebraska Division of Public Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Licensure and Regulation. The local assisted living facilities in Columbus work together with the DOHHS to provide seniors with a safe and healthy lifestyle.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Columbus
- The cost of living in the town of Columbus is somewhat inexpensive when compared to the national average, ranking 89 compared to the national median of 100. Seniors can expect to save on health care, groceries, utilities and transportation.
- Seniors in Columbus experience frigid winters that range in temperature from 24 to 40 degrees from November to March, which may make it difficult to stay active during winter months. Summers are generally mild with highs around 87 degrees.
- Seniors living with respiratory illnesses find it easier to live in Columbus with an air quality index that reads 31 percent better than the national average. Allergy sufferers may also prefer it here with pollution levels averaging 95 percent better than the national average.
- When considering violent and property crimes rates along with crimes per square mile, Columbus is safer than 29 percent of U.S cities. Seniors who are concerned about safety should be aware that the town has a crime rate 89 percent higher than the state as a whole.
- Columbus has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Columbus Community Center, an organization that provides seniors with activities, social programs and educational services.
- The Columbus area is home to world-class facilities, including Columbus Community Hospital and Columbus Surgery Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Columbus
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Nebraska
Assisted Living costs in Columbus start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Columbus and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Columbus
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Nebraska page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Nebraska page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Columbus
Columbus and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Columbus, please visit our Assisted Living in Nebraska page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Columbus
Columbus-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Nebraska are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Nebraska page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Columbus
Review of Prairie Village Retirement Center
Prairie Village Retirement Center was clean. They only had three levels of care. They had different levels of apartments. There were apartments where you just stayed and ate your meals there. There... Read more
Review of The Heritage at Meridian Gardens
My mother stayed at Meridian Gardens Assisted Living & Memory Support Community for almost a week before she passed away. It was a beautiful place. She was comfortable there mainly because they... Read more