2 Assisted Living Facilities in Pelican Rapids, MN
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Pelican Rapids, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Pelican Rapids
Pelican Rapids is a small town in Otter Tail County, Minnesota, located near a golf course and a large lake where seniors can enjoy outings. The county has 58,812 residents, 23.8% of whom are aged 65 years and older. These residents are supported by Pelican Rapids three assisted living facilities.
In Pelican Rapids, as it is throughout the entire state of Minnesota, these facilities must register annually as either class A or Class F facilities with the Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Pelican Rapids
- Pelican Rapids has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Fergus Falls.
- Seniors in Pelican Rapids can expect to see an average of 199 sunny days per year, which is six less than the average in the rest of the United States. The town also sees heavy snowfall each year, with an average of 47 inches.
Crime in Pelican Rapids is lower than in the rest of the country. Seniors concerned about safety will be pleased to know that violent crime rates 10.2 out of 100, where a score of 1 represents the safest possible environment. Property crime in Pelican Rapids scores 22.6, compared to a national average of 35.4.
- Pelican Rapids has a dedicated senior center for citizens aged 65 years and older. This community space provides hot meals and seminars on senior-related topics, among other services.
- Seniors on a budget will appreciate that the overall cost of living in Pelican Rapids is nearly 10 points lower than the national average and almost 16% lower than the state average.
- Minnesota does not offer many tax benefits for retirees, so Pelican Rapids seniors should expect to pay full tax on retirement account withdrawals and private and public pensions. Even Social Security income is partially-taxed.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Pelican Rapids
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Pelican Rapids start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Pelican Rapids and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Pelican Rapids
Pelican Rapids seniors on Medicaid can see if they are eligible for the Minnesota Elderly Waiver which helps to pay for assisted living services.
Seniors who do not qualify for Medicaid but who still need financial assistance to afford assisted living can apply for Group Residential Housing Assistance.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Pelican Rapids
Pelican Rapids and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Pelican Rapids, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Pelican Rapids
Pelican Rapids-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.