6 Assisted Living Facilities near Escanaba, MI
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Escanaba area, with 2 in Escanaba and 4 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 6 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Escanaba. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Escanaba 3.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Gladstone with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Escanaba, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Escanaba, MI
4 Assisted Living Facilities near Escanaba, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Escanaba
Escanaba, nestled in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, gets its name from a Native American word meaning flat rock. It was settled back in 1830, and today, it has nearly 12,200 residents. The small city has a relatively large senior population with 22.9% of residents being 65 or older.
Within Escanaba city limits, there are two assisted living facilities. Four more facilities are conveniently located in nearby Gladstone. The Adult Foster Care and Homes for the Aged Licensing Division licenses and regulates these assisted living facilities, as well as those in the rest of the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Escanaba
- The Escanaba area is home to world-class medical facilities, including OSF St. Francis Hospital and Medical Group, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors in Escanaba have limited access to public transit. The Delta Area Transit Authority operates an hourly fixed-route bus service between 9 a.m. and 3:45 p.m; seniors pay half-price fares. To help seniors get around the city, some assisted living facilities may offer scheduled transportation.
- For taxpayers born before 1946, Michigan’s tax policies are favorable. These taxpayers don’t need to pay tax on their government or military pensions. Single filers can exclude up to $51,570 of their private pension income. With these tax savings, seniors may find that they can more easily afford assisted living fees in Escanaba.
- Compared to the national average, Escanaba’s cost of living is 17% lower. The city’s housing costs are about half the national average. Groceries and transportation are also more affordable than the national norm. Cost-conscious seniors may appreciate the city’s low prices.
- Each year, an average of 52 inches of snow falls on Escanaba. This is nearly double the national average of 28 inches, which may please seniors who participate in winter sports. Summers in this city are mild, with highs in the mid-70s.
- Despite its small size, Escanaba offers a wide variety of attractions that may appeal to seniors. Each year, the Upper Peninsula State Fair comes to Escanaba. At The Bonifas Arts Center, seniors can tour the galleries, participate in workshops or view theatrical productions. To learn more about local history, seniors can visit the Delta County Historical Museum.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Escanaba
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Escanaba start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Escanaba and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Escanaba
Michigan offers financial assistance for assisted living through its MI Choice program. This Medicaid waiver helps eligible seniors pay for services provided by Escanaba's assisted living communities. Michigan also provides optional state supplementation payments to SSI recipients in assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Escanaba
Escanaba and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Escanaba, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Escanaba
Escanaba-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Escanaba
Review of Bishop Noa Home for Senior Citizens
Nursing staff itself was good. Administration leaves a lot to be desired.....I mistakenly thought this being a Catholic supported facility there would be compassion, not extra ordinary compassion,... Read more
Review of Bishop Noa Home for Senior Citizens
My mother was an 85 year old woman living independently at home until February 13, 2011, when the combination of dementia, smoking and drinking (because she did not know how much or how often she w... Read more