6 Assisted Living Facilities in Rapides Parish, LA
The average cost of assisted living in Rapides Parish is $2,128 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Avoyelles Parish with an average starting cost of $1,425.
To help you with your search, browse the 29 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Rapides Parish. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Rapides Parish 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Avoyelles Parish with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Rapides Parish find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Rapides Parish, call (855) 863-8283.
Browse Assisted Living by city: Assisted Living in Alexandria
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Rapides Parish, LA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Rapides Parish
Rapides Parish, located on the banks of the Red River in central Louisiana is sometimes referred to as "The Heart of Louisiana." Historical sites, outdoor activities and a thriving local culture make Rapides Parish a great place for active seniors to live.
The parish is home to more than 131,000 residents, and 15.9 percent of those locals are age 65 or older. Six assisted living facilities are located in Rapides Parish to cater to these seniors. As throughout the state, Rapides Parish assisted living communities are licensed by the Louisiana Department of Health and referred to as Adult Residential Care Providers (ARCPs.) ARCPs are classified into four groups, determined by the number of residents, accommodations provided and specific services offered.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Rapides Parish
- Rapides Parish offers plenty of cultural activities and events for local seniors to enjoy. The downtown Alexandria Cultural Arts District and the Alexandria Museum of Art offer day trip options for seniors living at local assisted living communities, and the Langiappe Theater and Rapides Parish Symphony put on regular performances.
- With an average of 214 sunny days per year and a subtropical climate with a moderate continental influence, Rapides Parish is an ideal location for seniors who like to spend time outdoors. Summer heat can be an issue, so families should ask ARCPs about their plans to protect residents from heat exposure during the summer months.
- Rapides Parish is home to world-class medical facilities, including Rapides Regional Medical Center in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Louisiana offers some tax benefits for seniors that members of assisted living communities in Rapides Parish can take advantage of. The state doesn't tax social security payments or public pensions, and it offers a $6,000 tax break each year for individuals getting private pension income or some other forms of retirement income.
- Rapides Parish has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Rapides Council on Aging, an organization that provides information on senior services, assistance accessing local programs and transportation services for seniors as well as 18 senior centers in various towns and cities throughout the parish.
- The cost of living in Rapides Parish is 10.4 percent lower than the national average, but the cost of health care and transportation are higher than the average for the U.S. Seniors and their families may need to budget for this extra expense.
Paying for Assisted Living in Rapides Parish
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Louisiana
Assisted Living costs in Rapides Parish start around $2,128 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Rapides Parish and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Rapides Parish
Residents of assisted living communities in Rapides Parish might be eligible for financial assistance through the Louisiana Medicaid Long-Term Care Services program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Rapides Parish
Rapides Parish and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Rapides Parish, please visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Rapides Parish
Rapides Parish-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Louisiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Rapides Parish, LA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Rapides Parish
Review of Marigold Place
My two friends were perfectly happy at Marigold Place. The cost was less than other facilities, which for many people would be a plus, and the staff was very cordial. However, at that time, you wou... Read more
Review of Brookdale Alexandria
My mother chose to stay at Brookdale Alexandria. She feels very comfortable and safe there. Their prior director did not relate well to people, so they're about to get a new director. My mother sai... Read more
Review of Canterbury House
I put my brother in Canterbury House Assisted Living last Friday. I'm very happy with it. We spent about several hours over there, and I was very pleased with them and their staff. We ate breakfast... Read more