7 Assisted Living Facilities in Calcasieu Parish, LA
The average cost of assisted living in Calcasieu Parish is $3,055 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,480. Cheaper nearby regions include Orange County with an average starting cost of $3,030.
To help you with your search, browse the 51 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Calcasieu Parish. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Calcasieu Parish 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Orange County with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Calcasieu Parish find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Calcasieu Parish, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Calcasieu Parish, LA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Calcasieu Parish
Calcasieu Parish, in southwest Louisiana, brims with natural beauty and Cajun charm. Active seniors living in the region can enjoy walking along cypress-lined nature paths, sampling local seafood specialties or listening to zydeco. About 14.4 percent of the more than 202,000 people living in Calcasieu Parish are over the age of 65, and there are seven assisted living facilities in the parish to accommodate that population.
The Louisiana Department of Health licenses assisted living communities throughout the state, including in Calcasieu Parish. These facilities are referred to as Adult Residential Care Providers (ARCPs) and are divided into four levels based on how many residents live there, what kind of care they receive, and the type of accommodations provided.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Calcasieu Parish
- Calcasieu Parish is home to world-class medical facilities, including Lake Charles Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors living in Calcasieu Parish benefit from senior-friendly Louisiana tax laws. The state doesn't tax social security, public pensions, and up to $6,000 per person of other retirement income, such as private pensions and IRAs.
- Seniors on a budget in Calcasieu Parish can appreciate that the parish has a cost of living 7.5 percent lower than the national average. Health care costs are on par with most of the rest of the U.S., but transportation costs are slightly higher, which could be a concern for families considering assisted living in the region.
- Property crime rates in Calcasieu Parish rank 47.7 on a scale of 100, compared with 38.1 for the national average. Violent crime rates are also higher than the average across the U.S. Before choosing an assisted living facility, ask about how the facility protects residents from crime.
- Calcasieu Parish has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Calcasieu Council on Aging, an organization that provides wellness classes, legal assistance, recreational programs and transportation services for seniors, as well as senior centers in various towns and cities throughout the parish, including the Lake Charles Senior Center and Vinton Senior Center.
- Air quality in Calcasieu Parish may be problematic for some seniors with respiratory issues. The American Lung Association gave the parish a D grade for ozone pollution, but also granted it an A grade for 24-hour particle pollution.
Paying for Assisted Living in Calcasieu Parish
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Louisiana
Assisted Living costs in Calcasieu Parish start around $3,012 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Calcasieu Parish and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Calcasieu Parish
Louisiana residents living in Calcasieu Parish may qualify for financial assistance for assisted living through the Louisiana Department of Health Medicaid Long-Term Care Services program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Calcasieu Parish
Calcasieu Parish and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Calcasieu Parish, please visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Calcasieu Parish
Calcasieu Parish-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Louisiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Calcasieu Parish, LA
Assisted Living near Calcasieu Parish, LA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Calcasieu Parish
Review of The Verandah Independent and Assisted Living
The Verandah at Graywood was a really nice facility. We toured the entire place. They had a cafe where you could order from a menu, a bar, some cottages and apartments that were independent, some a... Read more
Review of The Verandah Independent and Assisted Living
During my tour at The Verandah there were two ladies who initially sat down with me to find out what we were looking for. Then they took me for a tour in the assisted living area, (which was what w... Read more
Review of Villa Maria Retirement Center
My mother likes Villa Maria Retirement Center. They take good care of them. It's a nice place, and the staff is awesome and very attentive to their needs. Her room has a living room, a small kitche... Read more