2 Assisted Living Facilities in Mount Vernon, IL
The average cost of assisted living in Mount Vernon is $2,537 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Benton with an average starting cost of $2,375.
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Mount Vernon. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Mount Vernon 3.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Benton with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Mount Vernon, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Mount Vernon
The southern Illinois town of Mount Vernon combines old-fashioned charm with a thriving contemporary art and culture scene for local seniors. Only about 15,000 people live in this small city, but 21 percent of them are age 65 or older. Residents can choose between two assisted living facilities in Mount Vernon.
All assisted living facilities in Illinois, including those in Mount Vernon, must be licensed by the Illinois Department of Public Health. Each resident receives a personalized service plan, which must be created with their input along with that of their care team, to ensure that their needs are met.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Mount Vernon
- Groceries and health costs in Mount Vernon are higher than the Illinois and national averages, which may be difficult for seniors on a fixed budget. The overall cost of living is low, but that is largely due to low housing and transportation costs, which may not affect seniors in assisted living.
- Mount Vernon has a fairly moderate climate, which may help seniors stay active in the community all year. Winters can be cold, with lows in the low 20s, but it typically only gets about 12 inches of snow a year. Summers are warm and humid, with typical highs in the upper 80s.
- The Mount Vernon area is home to world-class medical facilities, including SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Art lovers in Mount Vernon enjoy the Cedarhurst Center for the Arts, which offers an ever-changing series of gallery exhibits, performances and affordable art classes for all ages and ability levels. The C.E. Brehm Memorial Public Library also offers a variety of adult programs ranging from genealogy research to knitting and crochet circles.
- The crime rate in Mount Vernon is very high, which may make some seniors hesitant to venture out into the community. It is 58 percent higher than the Illinois average and 41 percent higher than the U.S. average. However, the total number of crimes has decreased year-over-year.
- Seniors who no longer drive can take advantage of shuttle buses operated by South Central Transit, which has routes throughout Mount Vernon and to surrounding communities. Seniors age 60 and older are eligible for discounted fares.
Paying for Assisted Living in Mount Vernon
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Mount Vernon start around $2,537 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Mount Vernon and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Mount Vernon
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Mount Vernon
Mount Vernon and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Mount Vernon, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Mount Vernon
Mount Vernon-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Mount Vernon, IL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Mount Vernon
Review of GreenTree at Mt. Vernon
The rooms at GreenTree at Mt. Vernon are adequate. They were supposed to remodel/paint it, but they didn't do that. They're supposed to assist with making sure my wife takes her medication on time,... Read more
Review of Heritage Woods of Mt. Vernon
Because it was a brand new facility, I have absolutely complaints about the building. It was always clean, smelled nicely (which is rare in homes like this, from my experience), everything worked, ... Read more