2 Assisted Living Facilities in Flora, IL
Also serving communities of Farina, Fairfield, Kinmundy.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Flora, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Flora, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Flora
Flora is a small community in Illinois with a thriving senior population — more than 18% of the city's residents are seniors at least 65 years old. The city has plenty to offer its seniors including golfing and visiting any of the nearby parks or eateries. Seniors interested in history and nostalgia can visit the Veteran's Memorial, the George Roger Clark Memorial statue or the Train Museum. To help accommodate its large senior population, Flora has two assisted living facilities within its city limits for those who some help with activities of daily living.
In Flora, as in all of Illinois, the Illinois Department of Public Health licenses assisted living facilities. These facilities are known as assisted living facilities, shared housing establishments, sheltered care facilities and supportive living facilities, depending on the level of care provided.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Flora
- The Flora area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Clay County Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The air quality in Flora is good, which might be a consideration for seniors who have asthma or COPD. The city has a rank of 74 on a scale in which 100 represents the best air quality. Flora ranks almost 20 points higher than the national average of 58.
- Rides Mass Transit provides free transportation for Flora seniors. To ride for free, seniors must present their senior card and be at least 60 years old. Seniors who need a card can stop by the transit office to fill out an application. Seniors must book their rides 24 hours in advance. Rides are occasionally permitted without notice when room allows, but it’s best to book ahead to secure a seat.
- Flora’s low violent crime rate of 9.1, less than half of the national average of 22.7, might make it the ideal location for seniors looking for a safe city in which to retire. The city’s property crime rate is 36.1, almost on par with the national average of 35.4.
- Seniors in Illinois don't pay taxes on social security benefits, retirement savings account income or pensions, which might give Flora seniors more money to put toward their assisted living budgets.
- The overall cost of living in Flora is 74.3, more than 25 points lower than the U.S. average of 100. Groceries, healthcare and transportation expenses, however, are all higher than the average, which might be a consideration for seniors with restrictive budgets.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Flora
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Flora start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Flora and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Flora
Low-income seniors who live in Flora and need assistance with facility expenses may be able to qualify for the Illinois HCBS waiver for Supportive Living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Flora
Flora and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Flora, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Flora
Flora-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.