26 Assisted Living Facilities near Glen Ellyn, IL
There are 26 Assisted Living Facilities in the Glen Ellyn area, with 2 in Glen Ellyn and 24 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Glen Ellyn is $3,165 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Bloomingdale with an average starting cost of $3,033.
To help you with your search, browse the 290 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Glen Ellyn. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Glen Ellyn 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Carol Stream with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Glen Ellyn, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Glen Ellyn, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Glen Ellyn
Glen Ellyn is a village in DuPage County, Illinois, just 24 miles west of Chicago on the shore of Lake Ellyn. This suburb has a population of just over 28,000, and 14.6 percent are seniors. These seniors can choose from two assisted living facilities (ALFs) within city limits and 31 in the surrounding areas. All ALFs in the state are regulated by the Illinois Department of Health Division of Assisted Living which defines them as residences that provide room and board for at least three unrelated adults along with community-based residential care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Glen Ellyn
- Glen Ellyn has a lot of entertainment options for seniors such as the Billy Graham Center Museum, the McAninch Arts Center, the Cosley Zoo and the Willowbrook Wildlife Center. The Cosley Zoo and the McAninch Arts Center both offer discounts for seniors. The Glen Ellyn Park District also offers classes, arts and crafts, fitness programs and day trips.
- The cost of living in Glen Ellyn is 37.9 percent higher than the national average. This is primarily due to high housing and transportation costs. Groceries and health care expenses are below average, which may provide some relief to seniors on a budget.
- Seniors who are intolerant to extreme weather conditions may find it difficult to live in Glen Ellyn as temperatures here can vary greatly. Summers are warm with highs of 84 degrees Fahrenheit in July, and winter temperatures can dip to 16 degrees in January. Snowfall is 30 inches annually, and the area gets about 38 inches of rain per year.
- Seniors can feel safe living in Glen Ellyn as the crime rate here is relatively low. The city is safer than 69 percent of other U.S. cities, and both violent and property crimes are well below average with scores of 16.8 and 21.8 out of 100 (high crime).
- Seniors who don’t drive can receive rides from Ride DuPage, a program that offers subsidized transportation 24/7 and the Pace Bus.
- Illinois exempts Social Security benefits and almost all other retirement income from taxation. This can help seniors maximize their retirement income.
Paying for Assisted Living in Glen Ellyn
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Glen Ellyn start around $3,165 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Glen Ellyn and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Glen Ellyn
Seniors in Glen Ellyn who are looking for financial aid to offset costs can apply through HealthChoice Illinois, a program which helps pay for services like personal care and transportation. Eligible seniors with Medicaid and Medicare may also apply for the Illinois Medicaid-Medicare Alignment Initiative, a managed care program that provides medical and personal care services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Glen Ellyn
Glen Ellyn and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Glen Ellyn, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Glen Ellyn
Glen Ellyn-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Glen Ellyn, IL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Glen Ellyn
Review of Brookdale Glen Ellyn
The pandemic has been hard on everyone, but none more so than our elderly population. That being said, I have nothing but praise for Brookdale Glen Ellyn and the staff. My parents are both over... Read more
Review of Brookdale Glen Ellyn
Staff is outstanding. They’ve done so much for our family (mom and pop) that have been sheltering in place for the last month. And so many precautions to keep the facility protected and free from i... Read more
Review of Brookdale Glen Ellyn
If asked if I believe in heroes I would say yes, because I have met them. They are Kim - Marie P. , Director of Health and Wellness , and her team at Assisted Living. They work tirelessly under the... Read more