Brookdale Spring Shadows

Reviews of Brookdale Spring Shadows

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Spring Shadows

June 07, 2015

By Bubba123

People pay +/- $4000 per month to live here. The place is pretty nice, but the food they serve the residents is shameful. A soup line at the Salvation Army serves better food than this place. If you have a relative or friend who lives here, stop in unannounced for a meal sometime. You'll be shocked. There is no selection of entrees and, if they have a dietician, they should be fired and jailed. Any school cafeteria has better food than this place. It's pathetic and disgusting.

We are sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with the food served at Brookdale Springs Shadows. We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns and we would welcome an opportunity to discuss it with you personally and hope you will call us at 877-400-5296.

January 17, 2015

By Dana17

Brookdale Spring Shadows was the community that my mom liked the most. I was concerned about maintenance because the property was older than others we've seen. We ran into a resident that was complaining about her water pipes being loud in her apartment. So my concern about that facility is if they have good maintenance people and how old the plumbing is. The size of the rooms is fine, but they have a bit smaller floor plan. I thought that they would meet the needs of my mother. She likes the facility because it is smaller. The person that ran the tour was very kind, considerate, and very professional. She was very patient with my mom, and I thought she was a nice person.

June 10, 2014

By Kay26

The staff seemed OK. We were just there for a visit, so the reality will be when my mom gets there, and the day-to-day kind of thing. The room was good-sized. It seemed to be kept well. They had some group activities and things. We were there early in the morning. It was difficult to see any interaction. We chose it because it’s located between our family and my sister-in-law.

March 29, 2014

The Hampton was more multiple-level floors, apartment kind of style building. It was nice, it seemed pretty clean and I did like the location. They seemed very pleasant there, but it seemed a lot more populated and not as closely knit as I would like. The rooms were nice as well. I didn't see anything where it would be not good. The staff was good and everyone was professional. It really just didn't work for me preference-wise at that time.

November 27, 2013

The buildings of Hampton were a little older, but the grounds are well kept. The person that I dealt with was very nice. The staff seemed very caring people over there.

November 20, 2013

Hampton looks like a great place. The staff, especially Stephanie, was extremely helpful. From what I understand, they have a lot of activities. The place was very much well-kept and well maintained.

October 18, 2013

The person who showed us around Hampton Spring Shadows was very nice, so does the one apartment that was available. But it was like one of the larger ones, kind of like their Cadillac. I didn't see anything smaller. It was okay and the place was nice.

August 14, 2013

By chichi1

My mother lived at this facility for 5 plus years. She loved the place very much. Many of the workers have been there for 8-15+ years. That says alot! The workers were so good to my mother---they were like part of our family. Nice comfortable well managed facility. The food could have been better, but my mother was pretty picky.

September 12, 2012

By tsmith1406

Upon first visiting, I was impressed by the grounds and quality of the facilities. Most places in Houston are rather dirty (it being a big city and all) and so throughout my search, I have been immediately wary of any place I visited. The staff greeted me cordially and invited me to tour the grounds. Besides being clean, the furniture and other physical amenities looked up-to-date and well-kept. The staff kindly took the time to outline what sort of place Spring Shadows was and what my mother could expect if she lived here. I was impressed by their organization and seemingly quality of care. The other seniors present seemed contented and relaxed and were even friendly enough to speak with me as I was given the tour. Spring Shadows had a number of activities planned for the seniors and genuinely wanted to give the people living there a life much like they had in the outside world. The grounds were beautiful as well. Additionally, the quality of food served here was high and looked to not just be microwaved processed food out of a can. this is one of the best places I visited.

March 09, 2012

By Corialis

The facilities are all kept very clean, and the staff are quite professional. There are numerous and varied activities daily, and the food is of high quality and of balanced nutritional value. There are three separate buildings to the facility, with two being standard care and the third being for those with advanced dementia or Alzheimer's. There is specialized care for Alzheimer's at the facility, as well, which is excellent. For those who don't require that level of care, there are frequent trips out to shop or simply be out in the world, which certainly helps, as no one likes to be cooped up in the same building without recourse. The rooms are reasonably sized with most being a bit larger than a standard hotel room, and some being quite a bit larger than that.

Memory Care Reviews for Brookdale Spring Shadows

Questions about Brookdale Spring Shadows

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

All our staff in Memory Care go through an initial dementia care training upon hire and ongoing monthly hands on or computer trainings.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Spring Shadows. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Our average resident age is 83.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Spring Shadows offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Our residents enjoy our live music entertainment and hands on arts and craft along with patio gardening. Bingo remains a favorite with fun prizes. To keep them active we have a 7 day a week exercise program in the morning to get them going for the day, we reference our exercise program as our Brookdale B-Fit.

What places are near Brookdale Spring Shadows or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Our community is located in the heart of easy access to Memorial City. Residents enjoy going to Memorial City Mall and the numerous fine dining restaurants that are in close proximity. We are also located to major hospitals too.

What transportation services does Brookdale Spring Shadows offer to assisted living residents?

We offer a wheelchair accessible bus for transportation to and from appts within 20 mile radius.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Spring Shadows exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our Chef cooks to please. He gets to know our residents and cooks healthy nutritious meals from the suggestions they share. Our residents have come to enjoy a homecooked southern meal and enjoy the different pallets and recipes family and residents share from around the world.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Spring Shadows offer to assisted living residents?

We offer well lit pathways all around our community and well lit parking lots. Our community is staffed 24/7 and we lock our doors after dark with having family's who want to visit after hours simply ringing our doorbell to gain access.

How does Brookdale Spring Shadows keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Our managers call or email family with updates. If a family prefers a txt then our managers will accommodate that form of communication.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Spring Shadows during daytime and nighttime hours?

Our care staff is not set by resident count but instead the needs of the residents we serve. If the needs our high then our staff is higher. At night our staff is reduced by half.

If Brookdale Spring Shadows accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We are a pet friendly community and pets are welcome to enjoy all of our outdoor areas and their apartment with their loved one. Pets can be in common areas but we ask that they remain on a leash.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

We have monthly in-services aligned with state regulations and our own Brookdale standards. Brookdale also has online courses that are assigned for staff to take throughout the year that serve as additional educational components to their training.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

In MC 3-4 daytime staff and overnight 2 staff

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Spring Shadows provide to protect residents who wander?

Our community has a secured memory care neighborhood. Residents can enjoy a secured environment and enjoy walking out into a courtyard that is secured as well. Our special Memory Care program is designed to keep residents engaged and redirect to minimize the want or need to wander, but if they do, the environment is secured.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Spring Shadows offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Our program begins with a B-fit exercise class each morning. We have trivia, sing-a-long, crafts and so much more.

Our nursing team assesses and shares any residents health and cognitive functions changes with families. Assessing is an ongoing process and daily that staff will report any changes in resident to the Executive Director immediately.

What techniques does Brookdale Spring Shadows use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

During meal times staff are present to assist residents but also offer finger foods or pureed foods for those who need it.

How does Brookdale Spring Shadows keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

We communicate with our families ongoing through phone calls and emails and even texting pictures to them. We keep our community Facebook active with posting too so families can share with loved ones through social media.

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Spring Shadows. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

We are located in an established highly desirable residential area where many of our residents or their loved ones live or have lived. Our local fire department is a block away.

Is Brookdale Spring Shadows affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

We are not directly affiliated with a hospital but our rounding NP’s and Dr’s do have affiliations.

Costs for Brookdale Spring Shadows

Photos of Brookdale Spring Shadows

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Spring Shadows

• Hiking Trails
  • Features Extra: Courtyard, Private Bathroom, Therapy Room, Library

• Activities Extra: Recreational Activities, Dancing, Shopping, Bowling, Popcorn And A Movie, Sing Along

• Special Diets
  • Diet Extra: Registered Dieticians

Types of care

• Meal Preparation

• Get Costs

About Brookdale Spring Shadows

Brookdale Spring Shadows provides our residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each assisted living and Alzheimer's care resident the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the proper lifestyle and care accommodations as their needs change.

Map of Brookdale Spring Shadows