The Verandah Independent and Assisted Living

Reviews of The Verandah Independent and Assisted Living

Assisted Living Reviews for The Verandah Independent and Assisted Living

November 06, 2016

By Russell222112

Everything was good at Carriage House at The Verandah, they had been good to me, and it was a wonderful place. The staff was excellent; they did their jobs to the utmost. The rooms were excellent, and everything was great. They offered food, and the food was great. I would recommend this place to others.

August 17, 2016

By Vickie681405

Out of all the ones that we’ve seen, Carriage House at The Verandah was the nicest one. The place was very accommodating for my father. It was more like an apartment, and he would have a bedroom and nice bathroom, a living room and a nice kitchen. The staff member who toured us was really very nice. She went out of her way to show us everything, answered any questions we had, and was willing to help us with anything. I didn’t have a problem with her at all. We were able to have lunch there, and the food was very good. Their dining area was very nice. She told us they had different activities to do. They had bands that come in at certain times of the month and tours to other places.

March 22, 2016

By Ben13

The Verandah was a lovely place. We were impressed with it. The boss was very helpful. The rooms were larger than in the average assisted living place.

June 06, 2015

By Carolyn107794650

Carriage House at The Verandah is super nice. The rooms were smaller, and the beds in the rooms were smaller. They did have some activities. One thing I like about that is they have a pool, but people were not there to watch the residents. You are on your own, and that would be not very good for my mother. But they were extremely super nice. The staff was very patient. My father hadn't passed away yet when we went to Carriage House. They were very compassionate. I was very nervous because I had to take care of everything with both of my parents. They were just very calm, and they were wonderful.

March 27, 2015

By Jackie35

It was all great; it was just more expensive. The staff was good. Everything was good about Verandah. It was just a little more expensive; plus it was more out of the way for our family. Mom just really liked the other place better. Their dining room was excellent. They are geared more towards all kinds of denominations. So every Sunday, they have different denominations, and that was one of the main reasons my mom chose the other place. It was a brand new place, so it was really outstanding, and I guess that's why it was more expensive too. I have never seen anything as nice as that.

We know how hard it is to select a retirement community, and we hope your mother is happy with her selection. As part of our all-inclusive community, we do provide transportation to places of worship on Sundays, but also offer transportation daily to local shops, various appointments and any other needs our residents may have. In addition, residents enjoy a variety of amenities in their month rent including 3 chef-prepared meals daily, wellness and fitness classes, personal training, swimming pool and spa, access to The Graywood Country Club and much more. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance to you or your mother.

March 25, 2015

By Katherine17

I had a tour at The Verandah. I was kind of out in the Country. It was really nice. It had a lot of stuff, but then it was too expensive. It was kind of far out of town, and I kind of liked to live in a little bit more populated area.

As you experienced, The Verandah offers a variety of amenities including chef-prepared meals and fitness classes, social mixers, swimming pool and spa, access to the Graywood Country Club and so much more for one all-inclusive price. Residents enjoy our complimentary transportation providing access to nearby shopping, errands, doctor appointments and places of worship. We welcome you to come back and experience all the amenities The Verandah has to offer.

July 31, 2014

By Terry31

The Verandah was very nice, but it was too far from any kind of grocery store, doctor's office, or other facilities; it was too far away. I thought it was a bit too spread out. What they are calling the assisted living now was maybe originally intended for independent living, because the floor plan was so far from the activity room and really far from the cafeteria in the other direction. That was a lot for walking for old folks. It was also brand new, but they didn't really have that many people there yet either, so they probably didn't have as many activities. They also wanted more money upfront. They wanted a $5,000 non-refundable, and that was the only place thay wanted that; everywhere else had a $1,000 refundable, and I told them that when they called me about it, and they have now changed that policy.

Independent Living Reviews for The Verandah Independent and Assisted Living

August 28, 2018

By MBL

Fabulous place! Couldn't ask for a better setting for my sweet 80 year old in-laws!

April 30, 2018

By Norma

We just made a brief visit at The Verandah. It was clean and the people were nice. They had an elevator and I didn't know if that was good for people that are old. My mom was in her 90s and I thought that in an emergency, they probably would use the stairs, but some of these people can't take stairs. They wanted to put her on the second floor and I think that was one of the reasons why she didn't go there. I saw a room and it was lovely. No one had ever been in it because it was a new facility. The accommodations themselves were excellent.

November 12, 2017

By Mary J

We have my aunt on the list at The Verandah. I would move in there today myself if that were possible. It's a wonderful place. It's a really nice, upscale facility. Everyone, including the staff, is very friendly and helpful. They have a lot of activities to do for different levels. There is a lot of things that they offer for them as a community. If you lost your spouse and you're a little lonesome, it's a good place because there are others who are just like you and they look out for each other. They have games and activities. They have a swimming pool, aerobics, and a beauty shop. If you don't check in, they'll call and check on you. If you don't answer, they will go to your room. Her daughter is extremely impressed with it. Her mom is starting to have more memory issues, so we decided it's probably best for her to go on the one that's got a little more assistance and activities that are geared toward memory activities. It's butted up to a very nice, upscale community with its own private golf course. My cousin went into the assisted living and loved it. She said the apartment was very nice, but a bit smaller because they don't have a stove due to memory issues. The staff was wonderful and very informative. The lady who showed me around has a degree in elder care and Alzheimer's, which was very nice. I would have no problem leaving my mom there. It's clean and like walking into a really swanky apartment building. My cousin said the food was awesome. The outward appearance looks like home living.

February 10, 2017

By Liane750567

Verandah did not smell of old people. The cleanliness was huge. People all had smiles on their faces and did not hate it there. Everybody had a great smile and great attitude. The food was good and freshly prepared at every meal. The dining area was very nice, very elegant, and not cafeteria-style. The apartments were very nice, very comfortable, and more like condos. They had a wide variety of daily activities, from a 90-degree heated pool to updated workout room, and activities like bingo, Monopoly, card games, things to work the residents’ minds, and outdoor activities, like shopping or to doctors’ appointments, and family and friends are very much welcome to come and visit or stay.

December 05, 2016

By Renee155680

I was very impressed with The Verandah. The rooms were nice, and we looked at several different options. They had quite a few amenities which made it even more interesting. They had outings, card games, and craft rooms. The only setback was that transportation was only limited to 2 times a week where someone who has dialysis that has to go 3 times a week, that will be a problem, but they were willing to try and work something out. There was a variety of options for you to eat. Someone who is diabetic could choose from a wide variety of menu. The staff was very helpful. People would ask us, when we were in the hallway, if we needed assistance or if we had any questions.

November 07, 2016

By Pat566405

The Verandah has so many things that you can participate in; they have a lovely swimming pool covered with a solar panel, an exercise room, and all kinds of amenities. They have pedicures, manicures, and an art room. The chef prepared meals. I have a lovely 1 bedroom with a large walk-in closet and another big closet across with shelves. There’s a small den, a comfortable bathroom, a powder room, and a washer and dryer. Across from me, there’s another big closet with mini shelves that can be moved to accommodate a different configuration if you want it. There’s a dishwasher, a refrigerator, and a little entry hall. It’s very spacious with huge windows and a little balcony outside my bedroom. It looks like a French door, but it’s one big window, and the other one is a French door going out to the little balcony.

September 19, 2016

By Roy711031

The tour at the Verandah was good, and my relative moved in two months ago and loves it. They have swimming, arts, exercise, theater room, and a spa area where she gets her hair massaged or let done. They get to get together and go out to dinner at various restaurants to the city. They’ve got transportation to and from doctors twice a week and to stores.

June 30, 2016

By Patricia806458

I really want my mom to go to The Verandah because it’s a beautiful place, but she is too ill to move from Houston to here. I was very impressed with the place. Everyone was really friendly and helpful. They showed us a 1-bedroom as well as a 2-bedroom apartment and those were very nice. We ate lunch with the woman who was touring with us and the food was very good. They have different activities like bridge. They also have a beauty shop. The staff was very accommodating and very friendly. They gave us a whole bunch of information. The price was very reasonable.

November 30, 2015

By julieoubre

The Verandah is a beautiful, well-kept facility with a friendly environment and staff. It has an energetic atmosphere with plenty to keep the residents busy. I would strongly recommend this facility to anyone in need.

May 29, 2015

By Greg24

The Verandah was in a very nice subdivision. They offered transportation to get to and from the doctor with assistance. They did not have any dedicated Alzheimer's area like the other place I visited. The sizes of the rooms were somewhat larger. They were all nice and well kept. They had a little gymnasium where they had exercise machines and a small pool. They also had an area outside where residents can walk. It was very open and nice. They had a little movie theater. The place was very clean and very well kept.

February 11, 2015

By Donald30

The Verandah was a little bit too expensive for me. It was pretty new, and they have an upfront payment. The staff was really nice. They even sent me a card after I have turned it down as appreciation for coming by. They have a bar that people will have a happy hour with card playing. I just let mostly look at the units, and they were just really nice. The atmosphere was very nice, with the grass and trees. I would recommend the facility.

August 29, 2013

By Aileen38

Veranda is a beautiful property and it's new. There are people just now moving into it and it's got both the assisted living and independent living.

Questions about The Verandah Independent and Assisted Living

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

We are located in the beautiful planned neighborhood of Graywood. There is access to the golf course, tennis club, etc. We are also just a few miles from the Golden Nugget and L'auberge casinos.

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at The Verandah Independent and Assisted Living has organized?

Our residents enjoy many activities within the city of Lake Charles. From dinner out at some of the best local restaurants, to enjoying a great lecture at McNeese State University. Our residents get to live life on their terms and do what they enjoy.

What transportation services does The Verandah Independent and Assisted Living offer to independent living residents?

Our residents enjoy many options for transportation. We focus on Doctor appointments 3 days a week. We also provide Sunday Church transportation. On Tuesday and Thursday our transportation is available for your hearts desire. Wherever it is you need to go, chances are you have a neighbor going their also. We're happy to get you there safely.

Does The Verandah Independent and Assisted Living work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

We want your move to The Verandah to be your last move. We work with many medical and non-medical agencies to provide services as you age in place here. For our families needing more care, we offer Assisted Living and even a State of Art Memory Care Community here on site.

Costs for The Verandah Independent and Assisted Living

• Pool
  • Features Extra: Fitness Room/Gym

• State Licenses: 2203781664

About The Verandah Independent and Assisted Living

At The Verandah, we provide active seniors a lifestyle that you would be hard-pressed to find elsewhere in Louisiana. With our elegantly designed cottage-style homes, exemplary community amenities and friendly residents, you will wish you joined our community sooner. As a bonus, we are only a few minutes away from the shopping, restaurants and other local amenities available in downtown Lake Charles.

As a Sunshine Retirement Living Community, The Verandah shares the same mission to be a preferred senior living provider through offering choice, value and independence to each of our valued residents.

Featured Amenities

However you choose to spend your day, you will discover The Verandah has the resources to let you pursue it. Our community boasts a stocked fishing pond, an art studio, state-of-the-art fitness center and a spa. You even have access to walking trails throughout the Graywood community and the award-wining golf course at Gray Plantation Golf Club.

Spacious and smartly designed is how we describe the homes at our community. You can choose from a variety of floor plans including one- and two-bedroom apartments or two- and three-bedroom cottages. Your new home has all the standard features of a home with fully equipped kitchens and a washer/dryer but without the hassle of upkeep and bill paying, as your monthly rent includes all utilities and maintenance.

Available Services

Even though you can prepare meals in the comfort of your own home, for those days when you don’t want to do dishes, we offer a flexible dining plan where you can choose to dine in the community dining room or drop by the on-site tavern for game night. Other services that will make your life even easier include housekeeping services every other week and scheduled transportation.

When you join our community, not only are you gaining the freedom to enjoy retirement on your terms but you are also gaining the peace of mind that comes with knowing supportive services are available. The Carriage House provides customized assisted living services that support your independence, and you will continue to have access to all the amenities found throughout The Verandah.

Stop imaging the retirement you want and start creating it by joining the one-of-a-kind community The Verandah.

Ask about our Sunshine Travel Program - Our unique travel program gives you the chance to explore 16 cities in 7 states. Have a Question, Concern or Comment? Welcome to your Sunshine Community, Meet Mr. Sunshine. Ask about our unique Sunshine Wellness Program

Map of The Verandah Independent and Assisted Living