6 Assisted Living Facilities near Spearfish, SD
Also serving communities of Lead.
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Spearfish area, with 5 in Spearfish and 1 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Spearfish. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Spearfish 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Spearfish, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Spearfish, SD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Spearfish
Spearfish, S.D., is home to Black Hills State University, as well as a sizable population of seniors — more than 16 percent of residents are aged 65 and over. Spearfish has many senior-friendly amenities such as five assisted living facilities and another eight located nearby. The South Dakota Department of Health regulates and licenses assisted living facilities in the state. Each of them is equipped to help seniors with activities of daily living as well as to provide a welcoming and comfortable place to reside. Some facilities may offer special assistance for seniors who have a condition such as dementia or a certain type of disability.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Spearfish
- South Dakota is one of several states that does not tax social security checks. Consequently, seniors have more money in their budgets to help pay for the care they need.
- Seniors living on fixed incomes may be pleased to learn that the cost of living index in Spearfish is 96, which is slightly less than the national average, which is 100.
- Spearfish has an array of resources for seniors, including the Spearfish Senior Center, which offers technology classes, coffee gatherings, choir, fitness groups, line dancing and special events.
- The city of Spearfish is home to outstanding medical facilities, including the Regional Health Medical Clinic, in the event of medical emergencies and illness.
- The Spearfish area features many cultural attractions that seniors may enjoy such as the High Plains Wester Heritage Center Museum and the Matthews Opera House and Arts Center.
- Weather in Spearfish can be extreme. The January average low temperature is 19 degrees. Freezing temperatures and blustery winds can make it difficult for seniors to spend time outdoors. The average July temperature is 87, but there is not a high degree of humidity.
Paying for Assisted Living in Spearfish
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in South Dakota
Assisted Living costs in Spearfish start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Spearfish and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Spearfish
While many states do not offer financial assistance for assisted living facility costs, South Dakota does. The state has the South Dakota Medicaid Home and Community-Based Options and Person Centered Excellence (HOPE) Waiver, which offers financial assistance to seniors who need care at an assisted living facility. However, there are limited funds to support this waiver. Eligible seniors may be placed on a waiting list before funding is available to support their needs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in South Dakota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in South Dakota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Spearfish
Spearfish and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Spearfish, please visit our Assisted Living in South Dakota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Spearfish
Spearfish-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in South Dakota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in South Dakota page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Spearfish
Review of Edgewood Vista - Spearfish
I have observed residents at Edgewood Vista occasionally for over two years while assisting seniors evaluate and select Medicare Part D Prescription Drug coverage. I believe the facility is a well... Read more