The 3 Best Assisted Living Facilities in Madison, SD for 2023
Also serving communities of Ramona, Colton, Canistota.
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Madison area, with 2 in Madison and 1 nearby.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Madison, call (855) 948-3865.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Madison, South Dakota
Didn't find what you were looking for?
Caring's Family Advisors are here to help you with questions about senior living and care options.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Madison
Madison is home to about 6,500 residents and has a senior community that makes up over 17% of the population. Residents of all ages, including seniors, can socialize and learn new skills at the local community center, which hosts a variety of activities and amenities like nutrition classes, a three-lane indoor walking track and a zero-depth entry pool.
Seniors who need an extra hand with some daily living activities such as bathing, dressing and grooming may reside in an assisted living facility, which is also called an assisted living center in the Madison region. These facilities provide housing, meals and supportive services and are governed by the South Dakota Department of Health. The Madison area has three assisted living facilities, two of which are in the city proper and one more that’s located in nearby Ramona.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Madison
- South Dakota doesn’t impose a state income tax, meaning Madison seniors only pay federal income tax on retirement income. This may leave more money in the budget for assisted living expenses.
- The Madison area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Madison Regional Health System, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Madison's air quality is rated 87 out of 100 points, compared to the nationwide average of 58. This may appeal to seniors, especially those with asthma or heart disease, who enjoy spending a lot of time outside.
Madison's climate is slightly cooler than most South Dakota cities, with summer highs around 83 degrees and winter lows around 5 degrees. The area gets about 39 inches of snowfall per year, which may be a consideration for seniors who do their own driving.
- Madison has a low overall crime rate, which may make it a good option for seniors who are seeking a safe community for their retirement years. On a 100-point index, the violent crime rate is 10.6 and the property crime rate is 22.3, compared to the nationwide averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively.
- Madison has a very low cost of living that is nearly 25% below the national median. This is primarily due to the affordable cost of housing and transportation, both of which may result in lower assisted living costs.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.