The 10 Best Assisted Living Facilities in Charleroi, PA for 2023
Also serving communities of Monessen, Bentleyville.
There are 16 Assisted Living Facilities in the Charleroi area, with 3 in Charleroi and 13 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 22 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Charleroi. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Charleroi 3.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Dunlevy with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Charleroi, call (855) 863-8283.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Charleroi, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Charleroi
Seniors in Charleroi can enjoy perusing exhibits at the photography museum or visit the Riverside Place senior center to enjoy fitness classes and other activities with their peers. This age group makes up 18.8% of the town's 4,120 people, and some of them may need help with the tasks of daily living. To meet the needs of this population, there are two assisted living facilities in Charleroi and 16 more in nearby communities.
Assisted living residences (ALRs), as assisted living facilities are called in Charleroi and the rest of Pennsylvania, are licensed by the Department of Aging, Office of Long-Term Living, Division of Licensing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Charleroi
- The cost of living index in Charleroi is 79.5 out of 100, which is 20 percent lower than the state and national averages. This is driven mainly by the cost of homes at 28, which is much lower than the state average of 89. This may indirectly lower the cost of assisted living since operating costs could be lower as well.
- Charleroi's violent crime rate of 38.2 is 16 points below the U.S. average; the town's property crime rate is 53.8, 18 points above the U.S. average. Seniors touring assisted living facilities may want to ask what measures are taken to assure residents' safety at the facility and during outings in town.
- In Charleroi, the average rainfall is 38 inches per year, which matches the U.S. average. However, the town receives just 17 inches of snow compared to the national average of 28 inches. This could be good news for seniors who don't mind a little rain but don't like snowy weather.
- According to the EPA's National Air Toxics Assessment, Charleroi's air quality is 34, compared to the U.S. average of 58. This may be an issue for seniors with COPD and other respiratory conditions.
- Pennsylvania seniors, such as those in Charleroi, don't pay tax on retirement income from IRAs, Social Security or 401(k)s. Pension income for residents aged 60 or older is also tax-free. This is good news for seniors on a fixed income and may leave more room in the budget for assisted living fees.
- Charleroi has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Monongahela.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Charleroi
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Charleroi start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Charleroi and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Charleroi
In Charleroi and the rest of Pennsylvania, Medicaid doesn't help pay for the cost of assisted living. Seniors who qualify for SSI might be able to use that benefit toward their assisted living costs. According to PA Code 2800.27, seniors can't be charged more for assisted living than they earn each month.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Charleroi
Charleroi and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Charleroi, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Charleroi
Charleroi-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Charleroi
Review of Cambridge Hillside
Cambridge Hillside was clean and slightly outdated, but overall, a positive place. They had a movie theater, a gazebo outside, and some outside space. The staff members were very friendly, knowledg... Read more
Review of Cambridge Hillside
My mom is at Cambridge Hillside. She has been there for a few months now. It's clean and neat. It's well decorated. The rooms are spacious. Even in the shared rooms, the tenants have enough room to... Read more
Review of Cambridge Creekside
I have visited a family member twice and both times none of the employees were wearing masks during a global pandemic and not taking proper precautions while visitors are permitted in the building.... Read more