2 Assisted Living Facilities in Laurel, MS
Also serving communities of Collins.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Laurel. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Laurel 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Hattiesburg with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Laurel, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Laurel
Laurel, estimated population 18,500, is a charming town located in the southeast region of Mississippi known as the Pine Belt. While Laurel flourished during the growth of the timber industry in the late 1880s, today it’s the oldest nationally certified Tree City USA in Mississippi for its excellence in urban forestry management.
Laurel is one of 21 certified retirement cities in Mississippi thanks to the many benefits it offers seniors including a warm, welcoming community. Adults aged 65 and over make up approximately 14.8% of Laurel’s population. To meet the needs of those who require help with day-to-day activities and medication management, Laurel offers two personal care homes. Mississippi’s Division of Health Facilities Licensure and Certification has governance over such facilities in the entire state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Laurel
- Senior residents of Laurel, Mississippi, live in one of Kiplinger’s top 10 most tax-friendly states for retirees. Social Security benefits are exempt from state income taxes as is income from all qualified retirement plans.
- While seniors find an overall cost of living in Laurel that’s about 21% lower than the U.S. average, that’s primarily attributable to housing and transportation costs. Health care costs here are about 7% higher than the U.S. average.
- The Laurel area is home to world-class medical facilities, including South Central Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors should ensure any personal care home under consideration is adequately equipped with modern security systems. Laurel’s property crime rate of 67.5 is nearly double the national average of 35.4. A violent crime score of 17.2 is slightly lower than the U.S. average of 22.7.
- Laurel offers an array of community resources for seniors, including the Dr. B. E. Murph Center for Seniors, which provides art, exercise and computer classes, game days and potlucks.
- Laurel’s average annual rainfall of 58 inches is much higher than the U.S. average of 38 inches. This may put a damper on seniors’ ability to enjoy outdoor recreation in the wet spring and summer months. Highs in July and August can top 90 degrees, although Laurel is cooler in summer than most places in the state.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Laurel
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Mississippi
Assisted Living costs in Laurel start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Laurel and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Laurel
Seniors residing in Laurel who require significant assistance with the activities of daily living may qualify for Mississippi’s 1915(c) Assisted Living Waiver. This Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Medicaid waiver program covers personal care and other supportive services in assisted living communities but does not cover room and board.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Laurel
Laurel and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Laurel, please visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Laurel
Laurel-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Mississippi are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Laurel
Review of Cottonwood Manor
I was actually quite pleased with how the facility was maintained. Everything was decorated nicely and did give the feeling of a home. It had much Southern Charm with all the antiques put about and... Read more