3 Assisted Living Facilities near Fosston, MN
Also serving communities of Mcintosh, Twin Valley.
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Fosston area, with 2 in Fosston and 1 nearby.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Fosston, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Fosston, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Fosston
Fosston is a small city of just over 1,500 residents in northwestern Minnesota at the junction of the state's pine forests. The city is home to the Fosston Public Library, which hosts a variety of events for patrons of all ages. The library also provides access to its materials through its Homebound Delivery program, by which it delivers library materials to individuals and centers.
In Fosston, seniors make up over a quarter of the population. Those who are unable to live at home alone may reside in one of the city's two assisted living facilities. These facilities register annually with the Minnesota Department of Health as housing with services establishments. They are categorized as either Basic or Comprehensive home care providers.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Fosston
- Minnesota’s tax laws may pose challenges for retirees with limited budgets. The state fully taxes all types of retirement income, including Social Security benefits, and it also has a fairly high sales tax rate. This may affect how much money can be put toward assisted living in Fosston.
- The Fosston area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Essentia Health-Fosston, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors with respiratory or cardiovascular conditions can breathe easy in Fosston. The air quality is rated 92 out of 100, compared to the national average of 58. The city’s low levels of pollution may make it a good assisted living option.
- Altogether, living expenses in Fosston average about 15% below the national average, with housing expenses about a quarter below the national median and healthcare and transportation about 15% lower. This may allow seniors to budget more money toward local assisted living expenses.
- Fosston is a safe city with an overall crime rate that is lower than regional, state and national averages. On a 100-point index, violent crime in Fosston is rated 9.9 and property crime is rated 22.2, compared to the respective nationwide averages of 22.7 and 35.4.
- Temperatures in Fosston range between –4 and 80 degrees, which may be well-suited to seniors who enjoy experiencing four distinct seasons. To ensure that they stay comfortable from one season to the next, seniors may want to make sure they find an assisted living facility that provides individual climate control.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Fosston
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Fosston start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Fosston and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Fosston
Fosston seniors may apply for financial assistance for assisted living through one of two state-funded programs, including the Medicaid program's Elderly Waiver and the Minnesota Consumer Support Grant program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Fosston
Fosston and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Fosston, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Fosston
Fosston-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.