2 Assisted Living Facilities in Hays, KS
Also serving communities of Plainville, Russell.
The average cost of assisted living in Hays is $3,095 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 6 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Hays. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Hays 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Hays, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hays
Founded in 1967, Hays has a rich and colorful history as a frontier town in the wild west. With a population of close to 21,000, Hays is the largest city in northwestern Kansas. More than 13% of these residents are aged 65 and older and may be considering transitioning to an assisted living environment.
These facilities, known in Kansas as adult care homes (ACHs), are licensed and governed by the Secretary of Aging and Disability Services and include both assisted living facilities (ALFs) and residential health care facilities. Seniors in Hays have access to two local ACHs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hays
- Hays is an exciting destination for seniors. Downtown Hays, known as The Bricks, is home to several historic buildings, local shops, cultural attractions and entertainment venues, including Historic Fort Hays, the symphony and Hays Community Theater.
- ACCESS public transportation provides on-demand transportation services in Hays and around Ellis County, so seniors without a vehicle can easily navigate the city. ACCESS also operates Tiger Transit, which is a free service that stops every 30 minutes at various locations around Hays.
- Based on the national average of 100, the cost of living in Hays is rated 92.4. While it does fall below the U.S. average, it is more expensive than the average city in Kansas, which is something seniors on a tight budget may want to consider
- Low crime rates mean seniors can feel safe going about their daily activities. At 15.8, the rate of violent crime in Hays is lower than the U.S. national average of 22.7, measured on a scale to 100, with 100 representing high crime.
- Winters in Hays are quite chilly for the region, with temperatures falling to a low of 16 degrees. However, summers are warm and sunny, with temperatures in the low 90s, so seniors can get out and enjoy the outdoors.
- The Hays area is home to world-class medical facilities, including HaysMed The University of Kansas Health System medical center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Hays
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Kansas
Assisted Living costs in Hays start around $3,095 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Hays and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hays
Seniors in Hays are fortunate to have access to financial aid to help cover the cost of services in an ALF, and in some cases full coverage, of the cost of assisted living. This funding is offered through the state's KanCare Medicaid waiver programs, with additional supplementation available through the state's Frail Elderly (FE) waiver program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Hays
Hays and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Hays, please visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hays
Hays-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Kansas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Hays
Review of Brookdale Hays
My mother is at Brookdale Hays. The experience has been somewhat OK. At first it was a little up and down just to get everything settled in, but now it has gotten better, and she's gotten used to h... Read more
Review of Cedarview Assisted Living
Cedar View Assisted Living is a wonderful place that's very well taken care of. The residents are screened before they move in. My mom is interacting with all the residents, and she's so satisfied ... Read more
Review of Brookdale Hays
my mother was a resident for 5 years. those were good years for her at sterling house. they took good care of her and treated like a friend. During her last illness they were especially nice an... Read more