2 Assisted Living Facilities in Shenandoah, IA
Also serving communities of Clarinda, Red Oak.
The average cost of assisted living in Shenandoah is $3,780 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,650.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Shenandoah. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Shenandoah 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Bellevue with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Shenandoah, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Shenandoah, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Shenandoah
The city of Shenandoah, Iowa, is known as the childhood home of the famous singing duo, the Everly Brothers. Located in Fremont and Page counties, Shenandoah has a small-town ambiance but is just an hour's drive from Omaha, Nebraska, and two hours from metropolitan Des Moines, Iowa, and Kansas City, Missouri.
For seniors who wish to establish residency within the area and need assistance with daily living, there are two available assisted living facilities in the city. These communities are regulated by the Iowa Health Facilities Division under the Department of Inspections and Appeals and are officially called Assisted Living Programs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Shenandoah
- Iowa’s statewide income tax policy provides reasonable savings to Shenandoah seniors. The state does not tax Social Security income and allows a deduction on public and private pension income and retirement account withdrawals.
- Shenandoah has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Bricker Senior Center, a venue that provides a variety of activities to residents 60 and over. Regular events include catered dinners, movies, games and exercise classes.
- The Shenandoah area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Shenandoah Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Residents of Shenandoah enjoy safe, reliable public transportation provided by the Southwest Iowa Transit Agency. Services include taxi transit, medical appointment transportation and city shopping trips. All vehicles are wheelchair-friendly and ADA-accessible, and discounted taxi rates are available to those aged 60 and over
- An overall cost of living index of 81 — considerably lower than the state’s average index of 90 and the U.S. average of 100 — makes Shenandoah one of the more affordable locations within Iowa, But with the town's much higher healthcare cost index of 126, seniors may have to allocate an increased amount of their monthly budget for medical expenses.
- The city of Shenandoah offers a variety of arts and cultural attractions that cater to seniors' leisurely enjoyment. They can stroll along Sheridan Avenue, which features the Iowa Walk of Fame, a downtown attraction that honors famous Iowans. The Southwest Iowa Theatre Group performs at the Park Playhouse and offers discounted rates to patrons 60 and over.
Paying for Assisted Living in Shenandoah
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Shenandoah start around $3,780 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Shenandoah and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Shenandoah
The Iowa Department of Human Services administers the Medicaid Home and Community Based Services Elderly Waiver. Under this program, eligible Shenandoah members are granted individualized comprehensive plans consisting of services determined by an interdisciplinary team and delivered to seniors in community-based settings.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Shenandoah
Shenandoah and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Shenandoah, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Shenandoah
Shenandoah-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Shenandoah
Review of Fair Oaks Care Center
This place had very good employees. They took time to go and talk to my in-laws. It was very sad for her to be there and they made the transition very easy for her. They even took time to do her... Read more