2 Assisted Living Facilities in Ottumwa, IA
Also serving communities of Bloomfield, Centerville.
The average cost of assisted living in Ottumwa is $2,895 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Ottumwa, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Ottumwa, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Ottumwa
Ottumwa, a city of around 24,550 people, is located about 75 miles southeast of Des Moines, Iowa. The city has produced many famous residents, including actress Beverley Owen, best known for her role as Marilyn in the 1960s classic The Munsters.
Nearly one in seven of the city’s current residents are senior citizens, and to serve them as they age, there are two assisted living communities in Ottumwa. The Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals is responsible for licensing and regulating assisted living communities throughout the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Ottumwa
- Seniors who enjoy camping, fishing, sand volleyball and other outdoor activities may appreciate the 340-acre Ottumwa Park. There is also a network of paved trails along the banks of the Des Moines River. Aviation enthusiasts may be interested in The Air Power Museum’s collection of antique and classic aircraft.
- Public transit in Ottumwa is relatively limited, so some assisted living facilities may provide transportation for residents. Five bus routes are available on weekdays, and there's no service on weekends or holidays. Veterans and their spouses can ride the bus for free, and other seniors qualify for a discounted monthly bus pass.
- Seniors in the Hawkeye State don’t pay state income tax on their Social Security benefits. The resulting tax savings can be put toward assisted living costs. For more savings, some seniors can take advantage of tax exemptions on pensions and other retirement income.
- With a cost of living that’s 23.6% lower than the U.S. average, Ottumwa seniors may notice savings in many budget categories. Housing costs, at 63.2% below average, are especially cheap, but transportation, groceries and miscellaneous items are also less pricy here. One exception to Ottumwa’s enviably low cost of living is healthcare, which costs 26.1% more than the national average.
- The Ottumwa area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Ottumwa Regional Health Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- A potential drawback of life in Ottumwa is the city’s high crime rate. The property crime rate is 52.92 per 1,000 residents, more than twice the national median of 24 per 1,000 residents. For seniors who live in secure assisted living communities, this may not be a major concern.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Ottumwa
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Ottumwa start around $2,895 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Ottumwa and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Ottumwa
Iowans who need help paying for Ottumwa’s assisted living care should look into the Elderly Waiver, a home and community-based services waiver that’s supported by Iowa Medicaid. Another option to consider is the State Supplementary Assistance program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Ottumwa
Ottumwa and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Ottumwa, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Ottumwa
Ottumwa-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.