2 Assisted Living Facilities in Grinnell, IA
The average cost of assisted living in Grinnell is $4,080 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,420.
To help you with your search, browse the 6 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Grinnell. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Grinnell 4.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Conrad with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Grinnell, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Grinnell
Grinnell, Iowa, was founded in 1854 and is home to several historic buildings, which residents and visitors can see on a self-guided walking tour. The city has a little over 9,000 residents and a senior community that makes up almost 19 percent of the population.
In Grinnell, as in all of Iowa, assisted living facilities are officially called assisted living programs or residential care facilities, depending on the age of the population they serve and the level of care they provide. These facilities are licensed through the Department of Inspections and Appeals, Health Facilities Division. Grinnell has two assisted living facilities for local seniors to choose from.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Grinnell
- Grinnell seniors do not pay state income tax on their Social Security benefits, and other types of retirement income are tax-deductible. This may allow seniors to put more money toward the cost of assisted living services.
- The cost of living in Grinnell is about 3% lower than the statewide median and 13 percent lower than the nationwide median. Healthcare expenses, including hospital stays and doctor's office visits, cost about 20% more than healthcare expenses in the nation as a whole, which may be a consideration for seniors with chronic health conditions.
- On a 100-point scale on which higher crime is indicated by a higher score, Grinnell's property crime rate is 37, versus the national average of 35.4; and the violent crime rate is 31.6, versus the national average of 22.7. Seniors may want to ensure that they are aware of the surroundings and have personal belongings secure when they're out alone in the city.
- Grinnell's summers are warm with July highs near 90, and winters are very cold with January lows around 10 degrees. The region gets about 30 inches of snowfall annually, which is a little more than the national average of 26 inches and may be a consideration for seniors who use mobility aids.
- The Grinnell area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Grinnell Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Public transportation in Grinnell is provided by PeopleRides, a service of Region 6 Planning Commission. This low-cost service operates five days a week from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and can accommodate passengers with disabilities.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Grinnell
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Grinnell start around $4,080 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Grinnell and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Grinnell
Grinnell seniors who meet income and asset guidelines may receive assistance with assisted living expenses through the state's Medicaid 1915(c) Elderly Waiver program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Grinnell
Grinnell and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Grinnell, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Grinnell
Grinnell-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Grinnell, IA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Grinnell
Review of Windsor Manor Grinnell
Barb Windsor Manor! Our dad has been a resident there for 11 years and it is home to him. He is currently receiving Hospice services and WM has been just wonderful helping set that up. We are so gr... Read more
Review of Windsor Manor Grinnell
My father has been a resident at Windsor Manor almost 8 years and he is very happy there. The staff is excellent and take care of Dad as if he was their father. All of them are very caring and lo... Read more
Review of Mayflower Community
Mayflower Home was an excellent choice for my mother. I decided for this facility because of the way the staff interacted with the residents. They were welcoming to everyone including the family. M... Read more