4 Assisted Living Facilities in Decorah, IA
Also serving communities of Waukon, Lansing, Fayette.
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Decorah. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Decorah 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Sumner with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Decorah, call (855) 863-8283.
4 Assisted Living Facilities in Decorah, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Decorah
Decorah is located in the northeast corner of Iowa and offers seniors a variety of fun attractions in the city and nearby: Dunning Springs, featuring a 200 foot waterfall; Seed Savers Heritage Farm, a "living museum" on 890-acres; and the Vesterheim Norwegian American Museum, housing the largest collection of Norwegian-American artifacts.
The city's thriving senior population makes up almost 19% of its total residents, some of whom may be considering assisted living. There are four facilities located within Decorah to help accommodate those seniors. These facilities in Decorah and throughout Iowa are licensed as assisted living programs and residential care facilities, which are governed by the Department of Inspections and Appeals.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Decorah
- Residents of Iowa don't pay taxes on their Social Security benefits, which may make assisted living more affordable for Decorah seniors.
- Seniors can rest assured that Decorah is a safe city in which to retire. The city has a violent crime rating of 9.9, which is less than half of the U.S. norm. Property crime rates in the city are 23.2, more than ten points lower than the nationwide average of 35.4.
- The Decorah area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Winneshiek Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- At 91.9, Decorah’s cost of living is on par with the state average of 89.5, but lower than the national median of 100. Although seniors here can expect to pay less for housing and transportation than they would throughout much of the state or nation, they may pay more for healthcare expenses which have a rank of 128.7. Seniors with chronic medical conditions may want to keep these higher healthcare costs in mind.
- Seniors with respiratory or cardiovascular conditions may feel free to spend time outdoors without worrying that the air quality will affect their conditions. The city has an air quality rating of 85, almost 30 points higher than the U.S. median of 58.
- Decorah residents can expect summers with highs of 83 degrees and winters with lows of 8. While the city only gets 36 inches of rain each year, it gets 40 inches of annual snowfall, which may make it difficult for seniors with walking difficulties to navigate the city.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Decorah
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Decorah start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Decorah and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Decorah
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Decorah
Decorah and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Decorah, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Decorah
Decorah-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Decorah
Review of Aase Haugen Senior Services
This facility is one of those that works hard at giving the negative aspect of being in an assisted living facility a better spin. They work hard at encouraging family members to have something to ... Read more
Review of Wellington Place
The experience I am about to share describes the desired atmosphere and personal attention necessary to make the transition from independent living to senior residency a positive one. My Aunt lived... Read more