32 Assisted Living Facilities near Downers Grove, IL
Also serving communities of Woodridge.
There are 32 Assisted Living Facilities in the Downers Grove area, with 2 in Downers Grove and 30 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 338 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Downers Grove. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Downers Grove 3.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Westmont with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Downers Grove, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Downers Grove, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Downers Grove
The vibrant village of Downers Grove is located just 22 miles west of Chicago and contains a lovely mix of forest preserves, residential areas and a thriving downtown area to offer residents a little bit of everything. About 16.5 percent of the nearly 50,000 residents are senior citizens, and 31 assisted living facilities have opened in and around the village to support the community.
In Downers Grove, as in the rest of Illinois, assisted living facilities (ALFs) are required to meet certain standards and provide certain services, including food service and assistance with cleaning and laundry. These communities are licensed and regulated by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Downers Grove
- Everyday expenses in Downers Grove tend to be affordable, which can be helpful for seniors on a fixed income. Groceries, utilities and health costs are all less expensive than average. Transportation and housing costs can be quite high.
- Weather in Downers Grove is generally pleasant during the warmer months, with average summer highs in the 80s. However, winter months can see average lows of around 16 degrees. The area receives about 30 inches of snow in an average year, which can lead to difficult, icy conditions.
- The Downers Grove area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Downers Grove has excellent public transportation options for seniors who no longer drive. A Metra commuter train stop provides convenient access to the city of Chicago, and numerous Pace Bus routes run through the village and connect it to surrounding suburbs. Seniors can receive discounted fares on both options with an RTA Reduced Fare Permit.
- The crime rate in Downers Grove is significantly lower than state and national averages, making is a generally secure place to retire. It is safer than 65 percent of cities in Illinois and 79 percent of communities in the United States as a whole. Property crime is the most common type of crime in this community.
- Downers Grove is located in DuPage County, which generally has poor air quality due to high ozone and particle pollution levels. Seniors with respiratory health issues may need to stay indoors on particularly bad days.
Paying for Assisted Living in Downers Grove
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Downers Grove start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Downers Grove and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Downers Grove
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Downers Grove
Downers Grove and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Downers Grove, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Downers Grove
Downers Grove-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Downers Grove, IL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Downers Grove
Review of Saratoga Grove Retirement & Assisted Living
My parents are moving to Saratoga Grove Retirement & Assisted Living. It was very nice. I liked it because their assisted living residents have access to independent amenities, it's well-priced... Read more
Review of Saratoga Grove Retirement & Assisted Living
Food is horrible, terrible. All residents agree. Stop serving food before appointed time and stop closing food counter before appointed time. Just because a person is old does not mean they don'... Read more
Review of Lacey Creek
Lacey Creek is a relatively new facility. Its roons are spacious and the cleaning staff do a decent job of maintaining the room. The downside:There are staff to manage medication, however my loved ... Read more