Assisted Living Facilities in Durango, CO
The average cost of assisted living in Durango is $5,000 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,870.
To help you with your search, browse the 7 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Durango. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Durango 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Cortez with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Durango, call (855) 863-8283.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Durango, CO
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Durango
Tucked away in a mountain valley, Durango, Colorado is a vibrant community that showcases historic architecture and scenic views. As the town's population ages, a growing number of assisted living communities have opened in the area to provide personal care services for seniors. The Department of Public Health and Environment licenses these facilities as Assisted Living Residences (ALRs). There are at least nine ALRs available in Durango and the nearby communities of Cortez, Farmington and Montrose.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Durango
- Durango's arts and cultural scene offers something for nearly every taste. Main Avenue in downtown Durango is a Nationally Registered Historic District featuring an abundance of shops and galleries. Seniors with active lifestyles can enjoy outings to the town's parks and trails, while those who prefer to sit back and relax can do so in one of the city's many restaurants, galleries and theaters.
- The Durango area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Animas Surgical Hospital and Mercy Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors and their families should be aware that Durango's cost of living is 34 percent higher than the national average but about the same as the Colorado state average.
Tax policies in Durango and throughout Colorado are fairly friendly toward seniors. Retirement income is taxable, but the state allows seniors to take a significant deduction. Even better, Colorado does not tax groceries and medicine.
- Durango offers seniors safe, reliable public transportation at discounted fares. The Durango Transit system provides bus and trolley services around town, while the Road Runner Transit system allows access to the neighboring communities of Bayfield and Ignacio. Seniors can also take a nostalgic trip to Silverton via the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad.
- Durango has an array of community resources for seniors, including the San Juan Basin Area Agency On Aging, an organization that provides information, referrals and services for seniors as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Durango
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Colorado
Assisted Living costs in Durango start around $5,000 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Durango and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Durango
Colorado's state Medicaid program, called Health First Colorado, provides the Elderly, Blind and Disabled Waiver, which may help low-income seniors pay for personal care services at an assisted living community. The waiver has eligibility requirements and may have a wait-list. To be eligible for state funding, residences must meet additional requirements. Colorado also has an optional state supplement program (OSS) that may help cover assisted living room and board expenses for Social Security Income (SSI) recipients.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Colorado page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Colorado page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Durango
Durango and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Durango, please visit our Assisted Living in Colorado page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Durango
Durango-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Colorado are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Colorado page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Durango
Review of Four Corners Health Care Center
My mother is staying at Four Corners in Durango. We chose it because it was available and it's close. Everything is going really well, so far. I'm still not allowed inside the facility but from the... Read more
Review of Sunshine Gardens West
My mother has been living at Sunshine Gardens West for over 6 years. The staff have been more than helpful and the living conditions are excellent. My mother is very happy at Sunshine Gardens and... Read more
Review of Sunshine Gardens West
Sunshine have very good facilities. The only problem is the only unit that's available is much too small to accommodate two people. I do know someone whose father was there and they like it very mu... Read more