Brookdale Biloxi

Brookdale Biloxi (800) 385-2527

Reviews of Brookdale Biloxi

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Biloxi

July 04, 2015

The people were very nice. Everything was lovely, but it just wasn't for me. I just wasn't ready for that kind of thing. I still like doing my own cooking and all of that, and they didn't have that. It really just wasn't for me. Brookdale Biloxi was a lovely place, and the rooms were nice although a little bit small.

June 07, 2015

By Patricia107505050

I choose Brookdale Biloxi for my sister because I am impressed with the staff. I really like everybody that I meet. They seem very friendly and very caring. Also, I am able to find a three-bedroom apartment where my sister only uses one room, so she shares the three bedroom apartment with two other residents, and that works out really well for her. I have lunch with my sister there, and the food is OK. They have different activities. One thing that my sister participates in that she enjoys is when they play trivia in the morning. The thing that I like for her is the fact that they can bring her to appointments, Walmart and places like that, and also to doctor visits.

February 28, 2015

We chose Emeritus at Biloxi for my mother-in-law. For one thing, it has the availability, and we like everything about it. The apartment that's available is really a nice corner room. The staff was great during our visit. However, now that she is there, she is having some issues. Her daughter tells us that they are not helping her with her bath, and we don't know whether she will not let them or whether she is not bathing. As a matter fact, my husband had to call in for 2 days for a girl to call back this afternoon to find out if she in fact will not let her bathe her or if they are bathing her and she is just saying they are not. I cannot give it a 5 because of that issue. However, my experience with them has been great. I think it is a wonderful facility.

August 27, 2014

I moved my mom into Emeritus at Biloxi. I thought they were very friendly. It was a bigger facility, and the rooms were more for people with walkers and wheelchairs, and my mom was using a walker at the time she went in and then went to a wheelchair. They have Bingo and gatherings where they can have soda and orders, so it is more lifelike for her there and she doesn't get bored. The thing that they don't do is they don't knock on your door if you don't go to an activity. She has missed a couple of meals because she went to sleep and nobody knocked on the door to say, "Are you coming for a meal?" If you don't show up, they don't come and look for you. You have to be self-motivated to do anything. There are so many people that they can't always track them. I feel that they should always track them or my mom if she doesn't show up for something, for meals especially. But they are very quick to respond if she pushes the button, so that is good. But if she wanted to just sit in the room, she could just sit in the room and nobody would ever come and check on her. I ended up hiring a woman for an hour a day to stop five or six times a day in her room just to see if she needed anything because I didn't feel that the staff would ask her if she needed something. You have to be able to walk and do your own thing, since they are not going to push the wheelchair. I really don't like that either.

August 15, 2014

By Jean91849050

I went and look at some other facilities and they were okay. However, when we went to Emeritus, the manager, John, knew every single residents by name when he was showing us around. They had a good price and the place is just awesome. I like it. The staff is great. When I couldn't get in touch with my mother, I called them and they called me back within 10 minutes. The rooms are great; they are big. The bathrooms are awesome. They are just really terrific. My mother is in a studio. The place is clean. They come in once a week and clean her room. They clean everything. They take her trash out everyday. If you don't feel well, they will bring your breakfast, lunch, or dinner to you wherever you're located. Everybody is extremely nice. They have something going on every single day for the residents. They take them out every Wednesday for those who wish to go offsite. They have a service where they bring them to the doctors and stuff like that. My mom loves the food there. She said they have awesome food. They get two choices for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. What I like best about this facility is the price. They were cheaper than everybody else. Also I like the attention they give to the residents.

June 10, 2014

By Wellness Advocate

Before my parents moved into Emeritus, the pitch was all about what we can do for you and how life would be so much easier. After they got there, it was about what they don't do. We're not sitters, we don't do wound care, etc. etc. Actually many problems could be resolved if they gave you guidelines before they came, like a list of what they needed to bring, the information on exactly what they needed from the Doctor to administer medications, how things work around there so that you know how to access the services that are there, etc. When I tried to resolve problems that they brought to my attention, it felt like they were blocking me at every turn. I still had to be the one to call the Dr. about issues that would have been much better for them to take care of. Shortly we ended up needing almost 24 hr caregivers. So in less than 3 months we brought them home and hired caregivers. It was not all bad. There were many positives also. Many kind and well-trained care givers, but a lot of turnover in staff. If this is representive of Assisted living, then I only recomend it for those people who are well and take care of themselves with almost no assistance, but they are tired of taking care of the yard, house, and cooking, or feel lonely or isolated and would benefit from being around people.

April 26, 2014

By Phyllis27

My husband's uncle is in Emeritus at Biloxi because that is where he wanted to go. He is happy as he can be. He says he feels like he is living in a resort. I am really pleased with everyone over there. Everyone is extremely nice and happy. They are interacting constantly with the seniors. They are playing games. They have happy hour, where they serve beer and wine. He has not played blackjack before, but he won a couple of days ago, and his prize for winning is he will go the casino and eat in the buffet for free. He loves his room and he loves the whole thing.

July 31, 2013

By Albert2

I did talk to a lady in their office and she told me the things that were available and not too much more than that. She was a very nice lady and the facility looked clean. However, in Emeritus if there's a hurricane, they had to move you to another location and we didn't want to do that.

June 26, 2013

By Helena6

Emeritus at Biloxi was a beautiful place and I liked it very much. The rooms were very nice. The dining hall was spacious and pretty and the food smelled good.

April 16, 2013

By Caring 9732

We visited The Emeritus at Biloxi for my mom. The people were very nice. It seemed like a very cozy and friendly place. We didn't touch the food or anything like that, but they have 3 meals a day, plus snacks. They had somebody available that could take care of her medication needs. It's not a bad place at all, but our biggest drawback was the price, but none of the facilities in this area are affordable.

March 26, 2013

By Annie9

I was with another lady when I toured Emeritus, and I didn't have an opportunity to look around. As far as I know it's clean and didn't smell. I'm very careful about that; I can't stand it. The residents seemed okay to me.

July 11, 2012

By pete1

I have a grandfather at the facility who has forgotten to take his medication. He would walk away from the home and forget where he lived and why his children were in his home. Since the family agreed to the fact that he needed the time and care we could not provide and all of our emotions were all over the place regarding his safety. we chose this facility and it is the best place i have seen. My grandfather has come along way with his memory and his functions. He no longer wonders away. He knows where he is and is happy to make new friends and schedule the activities with these new found friends. and if he forgets any thing the staff is there to help day or night.

June 01, 2011

By R595

Friend or relative of resident

My grandmother began to do things like forget to turn the stove off and once ended up in the e.r. because she accidntly took to much medication. I was so relieved when I found Loyalton of Biloxi. The staff were very caring knowing my that she did not want to leave her home. The staff did everything they could to make her feel comfortable. It did not take long at all before she was going to activities and telling me about and introducing me to her new friends. She has been very happy there for the past 7 months. I have been comforted by the fact that I don't have to worry about her safety all the time. The only problem I had is the night staff tends to be a little cranky. Not mean just cranky about things like giving medicine and visitors and stuff. Over all I would recommend it to anyone who is in need of it.

Questions about Brookdale Biloxi

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

All staff receive initial dementia care training upon hire that provides guidance and techniques in supporting those residents with dementia and memory care needs. Monthly our associates receive in person in service training reviewing dementia care and working directly with residents with dementia needs from our Clare Bridge Program Manager. Additionally they receive monthly training through our intensive computer based training programs.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Biloxi. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Average age range is 65-75 Visit area casinos, visit area museums and cultural sights, visit beaches, participate in holiday events such as Mardi Gras parades, cruising the coast, etc.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Biloxi offer to enrich residents' well-being?

B-fit, weekly community outings at area restaurants or cultural sight, holiday/birthday/and anniversary recognition/celebration, religious small group bible study, weekly mass is held at the community, volunteer opportunities in the community at area schools and hospitals, community interests small groups, resident newsletter, ambassador committee, cooking demonstrations, brain games, social media exploration

What places are near Brookdale Biloxi or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Nothing via foot safely, however we are close to VA medical Center, beaches, area restaurants, Keesler Air Force Base, Edgewater Mall

What transportation services does Brookdale Biloxi offer to assisted living residents?

Transportation bus for physicians appointments Tues and Thurs or as needed, outings 5/6 days a week

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Biloxi exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our Dietary Manager was previously the General Manager at Salute and The Reef area restaurants. He offers amazing pasta and seafood fair. Residents can expect a nutritious, well-balanced menu that includes food from all walks of life, which THEY help design. Seasonal or local tastes, family traditions, special memories, or holidays are all incorporated as part of the dining experience. Our menus are approved by a dietician with the aging adult in mind. Residents have multiple outlets to share ideas for new or different menu options, in a way that they are comfortable with, including Menu Chat Meetings, the Resident Suggestion binder, comment cards, and directly with staff. Our Dining Service Manager leads a strong culinary team that understand the importance of food safety, honoring resident preference, offering a variety of options, and being open to feedback & making adjustments.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Biloxi offer to assisted living residents?

Community safety is one of the top priorities at BP. We prepare physically and mentally for situations that may arise. Multiple emergency pull cords are located in all of the apartments, as well as strategically around the community. Pendants (necklaces or bracelets) are offered but not required. Exit doors have a primary and secondary security system. We detect for both smoke & carbon monoxide and our fire systems are monitored by a 3rd party for the quickest response if ever needed. Due to our geographic location, we maintain preparations for natural disasters year-round. All associates are routinely in-serviced and trained for real life situations, to ensure that when time is of the essence, staff respond rather than react.

How does Brookdale Biloxi keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Open communication with calls from community as needed, scheduled and impromptu family meetings, emails to families en masse for upcoming events or community updates, and texts & emails with ED and HWD if family’s preference.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Biloxi during daytime and nighttime hours?

Brookdale staffs to the direct needs of our residents. Every resident receives an individualized care plan that provides detailed information about the care needs of the resident. This system collectively provides the amount of staffing needed to provide the best care for our residents. This always meets the state regulations and most often exceeds the recommendation of state.

If Brookdale Biloxi accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We are a pet friendly facility. We have a beautiful landscape outside for pets to enjoy

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

In addition to the extensive training that associates receive prior to beginning their journeys with BP, they also receive ongoing monthly training that focuses on aging adults, safety, dementias, and other relevant topics. Associates collaborate with community leadership to ensure that the specific needs of the community’s current resident population are addressed.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Biloxi provide to protect residents who wander?

We have security door with a key pad entry for both entrances of the Clare Bridge unit. Door alarms are on each door.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Biloxi offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Brookdale utilizes the Clare Bridge program which focuses on engaging residents of all abilities. This program follows “The Daily Path” which provides a reassuring structure, engagement, and physical/mental stimulation. Residents follow a structured daily routine that includes meal services, mental and physical workouts, refreshments, creative arts and crafts, and musical engagement.

Our Health and Wellness Director assesses residents prior to admission, upon admission, 15-30 days after admission, and then quarterly for the extent of the residents stay at our community. In addition, if the resident has a change in their condition we also complete a new assessment at that time.

What techniques does Brookdale Biloxi use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Residents start their meals with our Refresh program which helps not only with hygiene but engaging the senses and encouraging appetite. Meals are served restaurant style with multiple meal options available. Brookdale Columbus will accommodate different diet needs, and can prepare foods in several ways to encourage independence and maintain the dignity of the residents.

How does Brookdale Biloxi keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

We have care conference meetings quarterly to keep families up to date with the overall well being of their loved one. In addition, we will always communicate with our families if there is a change in a resident’s day to day normal.

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Biloxi. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

We are in a residential neighborhood conveniently located close to the Walmart neighborhood market, VA medical Center, Keesler Air Force Base and Edgewater Mall. We are also in close proximity to the library and the post office. We also are close to a Methodist, Baptist, catholic, and Lutheran church within blocks of our facility.

Is Brookdale Biloxi affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

we are not affiliated with any hospital, however we are close to Merritt Health, Memorial Hospital At Gulfport, VA Medical Center, Keesler Air Force Base Medical Center

Photos of Brookdale Biloxi

Training Areas

• Memory Care Training

About Brookdale Biloxi

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Map of Brookdale Biloxi