5 Assisted Living Facilities near South Hill, VA
Also serving communities of Burkeville, Emporia.
There are 5 Assisted Living Facilities in the South Hill area, with 4 in South Hill and 1 nearby.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in South Hill, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in South Hill, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in South Hill
South Hill, Virginia, is located in the southern part of the state near the border of North Carolina, just off Interstate 85 and state highway 58. It’s also a short drive from the John H. Kerr reservoir which offers ample nature and greenspace to residents outside of the winter months. South Hill has four assisted living facilities, licensed by the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in South Hill
- The annual weather in South Hill, Virginia is comfortable for seniors the majority of the year, with 218 sunny days on average and 45 inches of rain. Summer temperatures peak in the high 80s and winters will fall into the mid-20s, with about three inches of snow in the coldest months.
- South Hill has good to moderate air quality throughout the year. The moderate days aren’t due to pollution, so much as they are due to pollen that has been released into the air by the forests in the area. Those seniors with allergies may have a tough time breathing on warmer days.
- The cost of living in South Hill is 91.5 on the Sperling's Best Places scale with the national average of 100, below both the national and Virginia state average of 107. Housing is about half the state average at $117,500, while daily necessities like groceries and health care are noticeably more expensive, meaning seniors will pay more money in their day to day lives.
- For such a small town, South Hill’s crime rate is high, as it’s violent crime rate comes in at 3.13 per 1000 people above the state average of 2.18 per 1,000 people. This could be due to the fact that the town is located on two major highways and constantly has travelers passing through.
- The Lake County area in Virginia, which consists of one of the counties South Hill is located, has its own transportation department. With 48 hours of notice, drivers will take seniors to various appointments.
- The South Hill area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in the nearby town of Halifax, across the state border in Roanoke Rapids, NC.
Paying for Assisted Living in South Hill
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in South Hill start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in South Hill and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in South Hill
For seniors who can’t afford assisted living facilities, are 55 years or older and are suffering from Alzheimer’s or a related form of dementia, The State of Virginia has an Alzheimer’s Assisted Living Waiver. As part of state Medicaid, this program will pay for an ALF as long as the facility is considered a “safe and secure” environment by the state. The state also offers auxiliary grants for seniors who can't afford ALFs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in South Hill
South Hill and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in South Hill, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in South Hill
South Hill-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.