2 Assisted Living Facilities in Sikeston, MO
Also serving communities of Essex, Dexter.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Sikeston, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Sikeston, MO
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Sikeston
Sikeston, Missouri, located in Scott County, was incorporated in 1875 as a town of 250 people. Today, seniors make up 18.6% of the town's population of over 16,100 residents, and they can meet up with friends, enjoy a meal and receive services at the Sikeston Senior Center.
Some area seniors may need help with the tasks of daily living, and there are two assisted living facilities in town to meet their needs, with one more option in nearby Essex. These facilities are regulated by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services throughout the state, including Sikeston.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Sikeston
- Seniors in Missouri, including Sikeston, pay the full tax rate on retirement account withdrawals and private pension income. Public pensions and Social Security are only partially taxed.
- Both the property and violent crime rates in Sikeston are very high. This may be a consideration for families of seniors moving to the area to be closer to loved ones in assisted living facilities. The town's violent crime rate of 57.7 is more than twice as high as the national average of 22.7; its property crime rate of 70.9 is twice as high as the U.S. average of 35.4.
- At 78.8, Sikeston's cost of living is 13.7% lower than the Missouri figure and 21.2% lower than the national baseline of 100. This is driven by housing costs at just over half the national average. However, Sikeston seniors may pay more for healthcare.
- Winters are moderate in Sikeston, with just 4 inches of snow and January lows of 27 degrees. Summers can be hot and muggy with July average highs of 91 degrees. While touring assisted living facilities, seniors may want to ask if rooms have individual temperature controls so residents can stay comfortable year-round.
- According to the EPA, Sikeston has an air quality of 67, nine points higher than the national average. Its water quality of 60 is five points higher than the U.S. mean. This means that seniors with conditions aggravated by poor air quality may breathe more comfortably here.
- The Sikeston area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Missouri Delta Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Sikeston
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Missouri
Assisted Living costs in Sikeston start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Sikeston and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Sikeston
Some Sikeston seniors may already qualify for Medicaid. Those who do can apply for additional assistance via the Aged and Disabled waiver, the Supplemental Nursing Care Assistance Program or the State Plan Personal Care Option.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Sikeston
Sikeston and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Sikeston, please visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Sikeston
Sikeston-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Missouri are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page for more information about these laws.