2 Assisted Living Facilities in Fulda, MN
Also serving communities of Slayton, Westbrook, Worthington.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Fulda, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Fulda
A small town in southwestern Minnesota, Fulda is home to nearly 1,300 people. The town is nicknamed Home of the Wood Duck because of the area’s large migrating duck population. The senior population is also quite large with nearly one-third of Fulda’s residents being 65 or older.
This small town has two assisted living facilities for seniors who need help with activities of daily living. To ensure residents receive respectful, high-quality care, Fulda's assisted living communities are regulated by the Minnesota Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Fulda
- One of Fulda’s major advantages is its low cost of living, which is almost 20% below the national average. Retirees can see savings in many budget categories, such as housing and transportation. Another important consideration for seniors, healthcare, comes in at 13.6% less expensive than the national average.
- Fulda has an array of community resources for seniors, including A.C.E. of Southwest Minnesota, an organization that helps connect seniors with rewarding volunteer opportunities, as well as one senior center.
- Minnesota seniors who aren’t fans of the state’s winter weather may want to consider moving to Fulda. The town gets about 42 inches of snow per year, and while that’s a lot, it’s less than most places in the state. The town’s overnight winter lows, at an average of 4.5 degrees, are also warmer than most parts of Minnesota.
- While there aren’t any attractions located in Fulda itself, there are many fun things to do in southwest Minnesota. Assisted living communities may take residents on day trips to some of these destinations, which include museums, historic sites and performing arts centers.
- The Fulda area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Murray County Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Fulda doesn’t have a fixed-route bus service, but a dial-a-ride service is available. Seniors can book rides on Community Transit, a shared ride program that serves eight counties in southwestern Minnesota. For trips within this service area, seniors’ escorts ride for free. Some assisted living facilities may help residents arrange transportation.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Fulda
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Fulda start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Fulda and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Fulda
Fulda seniors who need help with assisted living costs may be able to take advantage of several state programs. Low-income seniors may receive assisted living services through Minnesota Medicaid’s Elderly waiver. Another program, optional state supplementation, provides extra assistance to SSI recipients and can help with room-and-board costs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Fulda
Fulda and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Fulda, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Fulda
Fulda-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.