Assisted Living Facilities in Liberal, KS
The average cost of assisted living in Liberal is $3,112 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,875.
To help you with your search, browse the 8 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Liberal. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Liberal 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Liberal, call (855) 863-8283.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Liberal, KS
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Liberal
Liberal is the county seat of Seward County, Kansas, and the city also lays claim to the title of Pancake Hub of the Universe. Since 1950, women in Liberal and their opponents in Olney, England, have been participating in the International Pancake Race, a Mardi Gras tradition. Competitors flip pancakes in a frying pan as they run, providing just one example of the community spirit seniors enjoy in this diverse city with a wide range of entertainment for all ages.
Liberal has an estimated population of 19,500, and nearly 9.2% of that number is comprised of adults aged 65 and older. When these residents require help with personal care, they have two assisted living communities in Liberal to choose from. The Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services has governance over all such facilities in Liberal and throughout the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Liberal
- The Liberal area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Southwest Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Although seniors living in Liberal are not taxed at the state level for military, civil-service or in-state public pensions, Kansas does tax distributions from IRAs, 401(k) plans and out-of-state pensions. Residents with a federal adjusted gross income of $75,000 or less are not taxed on Social Security benefits.
- Seniors may find a dollar goes further in Liberal, where the overall cost of living is about 20% lower than the national average. Housing and transportation costs are the biggest factors.
- Crime rates in Liberal mirror the national averages. The city’s violent crime rate of 20.3 is just under the U.S. average of 22.7. Property crime in Liberal scores of 34.3, just 1 point less than the national average of 35.4. Seniors should look for ALCs with modern security and surveillance systems in place.
- Seniors who thrive in the sunshine enjoy 246 sunny days on average each year in Liberal. Summer’s high in July averages 94 degrees, making Liberal one of the hottest places in Kansas. Winters are also warmer here, with the coldest nighttime temperature of 20 degrees occurring in January.
- Liberal offers an array of community resources for seniors, including the Liberal Senior Center & Friendship Meals. This organization provides a weekday lunch, in-city transportation, legal aid, medical testing, and recreational, social and fitness activities.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Liberal
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Kansas
Assisted Living costs in Liberal start around $3,112 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Liberal and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Liberal
Low-income seniors in Liberal, Kansas, may be eligible for help paying for assisted living costs through the state's Medicaid Frail Elderly (FE) waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Liberal
Liberal and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Liberal, please visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Liberal
Liberal-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Kansas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Liberal
Review of Homestead Estates Home Plus
I thought Homestead Estates Home Plus was very clean. You could tell that people were keeping it clean. The rooms were on the small side, but what I liked about it is that they allowed the patients... Read more
Review of Brookdale Liberal Springs
Went by there for their Alzheimer’s Garage & Bake Sale last week. Spoke with a few residents outside who were so happy with their home there. They invited me in for lunch and to play skip bo, I... Read more
Review of Brookdale Liberal Springs
The staff provide excellent care for the residents! Read more