2 Assisted Living Facilities in Storm Lake, IA
Also serving communities of Newell, Albert City, Ida Grove.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Storm Lake, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Storm Lake
Named after a nearby body of water, Storm Lake is a vibrant, diverse community of over 10,000 people, an estimated 9.2 percent of whom have already celebrated their 65th birthdays. For those seniors who need a little extra support to maintain their independence as they age, Storm Lake offers two assisted living facilities. Iowa State's Health Facilities Division licenses these communities as Assisted Living Programs, which focus on serving seniors, or Residential Care Facilities, which also admit younger residents with disabilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Storm Lake
- Seniors on a budget may find that assisted living tends to be cheaper in cities with low living costs. With an overall cost of living that is 9.3 percent below the Iowa state average and 19.3 percent below the national average, Storm Lake is an affordable place for seniors to reside.
- The Storm Lake area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Buena Vista Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- State and local tax policies can take a bite out of a retiree's assisted living budget. Seniors in Storm Lake face a state income tax rate of up to 8.98 percent, however, Social Security benefits are tax-free and retirees can take a deduction on other types of retirement income.
Storm Lake's climate can be uncomfortable and may be tough on seniors, particularly during the winter months. In January, the city's average low temperature is a mere 9 degrees.
- Clean air allows seniors to breathe easier. On a scale of one to 100, where 100 is best, Storm Lake's air quality ranks in the healthy range, at 86, based on Environmental Protection Agency data. By comparison, the U.S. average score is only 58.
- Getting around town from an assisted living facility is easier when there is reliable public transportation. In Storm Lake, the Regional Transit Authority serves seniors Monday through Friday. On weekends, there is a taxi service available.
Paying for Assisted Living in Storm Lake
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Storm Lake start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Storm Lake and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Storm Lake
Iowa provides one Medicaid waiver to help qualifying low-income seniors cover assisted living costs. Called the Elderly Waiver, it can be used for both assisted living programs and residential care facilities. An optional state supplement is also available, but only for eligible residents of residential care facilities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Storm Lake
Storm Lake and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Storm Lake, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Storm Lake
Storm Lake-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.