2 Assisted Living Facilities in Fort Dodge, IA
Also serving communities of Humboldt, Pomeroy.
The average cost of assisted living in Fort Dodge is $3,650 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,405. Cheaper nearby regions include Webster City with an average starting cost of $2,995.
To help you with your search, browse the 3 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Fort Dodge. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Fort Dodge 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Webster City with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Fort Dodge, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Fort Dodge
Fort Dodge is located approximately 70 miles northwest of Des Moines, Iowa, and it has several locations that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This historic city is home to just over 24,000 residents, and about one in six people are over 65.
To care for these seniors as they age, there are two assisted living facilities in Fort Dodge. Like their counterparts throughout the state, they’re regulated by the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Fort Dodge
- Fort Dodge has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Elderbridge Alliance, a non-profit organization that provides low-cost care coordination, errand assistance and other services to local seniors, as well as one senior center.
- The Fort Dodge area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Trinity Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Blanden Memorial Art Museum, which has a collection of American paintings, sculptures and photography, offers free admission to seniors. Another local attraction is the Fort Museum and Frontier Village; seniors can visit to learn more about Iowa’s pioneer history.
- This Iowa city has a surprisingly high crime rate, and its residents have a one in 20 chance of becoming a victim of a crime. To protect residents, most assisted living facilities have access control systems to keep out unauthorized visitors.
- Seniors who want to make their retirement savings go further may appreciate Iowa’s tax policies. Up to $6,000 in distributions from IRAs and 401(k)s can be excluded from state income taxes. Other types of retirement income, including private pensions, also qualify for exemptions. The state doesn’t tax Social Security benefits.
- With a cost of living that’s 22% lower than the national average, Fort Dodge may be a dream come true for budget-conscious retirees. The city boasts housing costs that are almost 54% below the U.S. norm. Since the city’s healthcare costs are nearly 25% higher than the national average, some seniors may not save money by moving here.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Fort Dodge
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Fort Dodge start around $3,650 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Fort Dodge and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Fort Dodge
State Supplementary Assistance, Iowa’s optional state supplementation program, provides additional cash assistance to seniors who get federal SSI benefits. This funding can help pay for assisted living costs. The state also offers a home and community-based services waiver, called the Elderly Waiver, that may pay for assisted living services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Fort Dodge
Fort Dodge and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Fort Dodge, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Fort Dodge
Fort Dodge-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Fort Dodge
Review of Friendship Haven
Friendship Haven is a very excellent facility. It is very large. It has all the amenities for the people there. It covers all phases of aging. When there comes a point in time when they need more c... Read more
Review of Friendship Haven
I visited Friendship Haven as it in our list. They have good staff and were able to answer our questions. They have the needed services we’re looking for. We haven’t eaten there but I think the din... Read more
Review of Friendship Haven
Moved my maternal grandmother into one of their apartments recently. The facility is building new and more modern buildings right now so things are a bit on the awkward side as far as some of the e... Read more