2 Assisted Living Facilities in Peru, IL
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Peru, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Peru, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Peru
Peru, Illinois, seniors who enjoy leisurely activities have a lot to choose from, including strolling along the water at Baker Lake Park or sitting on one of the benches and taking in the view, visiting an antique mall or taking a tour of the Westclox Museum. There are 2,251 seniors residing in Peru, and some of them may need assisted living services. The city boasts two assisted living facilities to care for those seniors.
The Illinois Department of Health licenses assisted living facilities in Peru and the state of Illinois as assisted living establishments, shared housing establishments, sheltered care facilities and supportive living facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Peru
- The overall cost of living in Peru is 80.1, significantly lower than the Illinois and U.S. averages of 101.5 and 100, respectively. Seniors in Peru can expect to pay less for transportation and groceries, but healthcare ranks higher than both the state and the national average at 108.4. Peru seniors with chronic health conditions may want to set aside extra money for healthcare expenses.
- The good air quality in Peru might be pleasant news to seniors with respiratory issues who are hoping to move to the area. On a scale of 1 to 100 where a higher score means better air quality, Peru has a rank of 70, higher than the U.S. average of 58.
- The Peru area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Illinois Valley Community Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The city’s low crime rates may help Peru seniors feel safer. Peru has a violent crime rate of 11.4, almost half of the U.S. average of 22.7, and a property crime rate of 28.2, seven points lower than the national average of 35.4.
- Peru seniors may find that Illinois tax laws result in more money to put toward their expenses. The state does not tax pensions, retirement savings account withdrawals or Social Security benefits.
- Residents of Peru see all four seasons with year-round temperatures ranging between 84 and 14 degrees. Seniors may want to ensure rooms have individualized climate controls to keep them comfortable in all weather conditions.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Peru
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Peru start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Peru and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Peru
Illinois seniors who need help paying for assisted living expenses in Peru may qualify for the HCBS Waiver for Supportive Living Facilities. Applicants must be 65 or older, meet financial restrictions and be eligible for Medicaid.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Peru
Peru and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Peru, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Peru
Peru-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.