12 Assisted Living Facilities near Mc Calla, AL
Also serving communities of Montevallo, Jemison.
There are 12 Assisted Living Facilities in the Mc Calla area, with 2 in Mc Calla and 10 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 71 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Mc Calla. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Mc Calla 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Hoover with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Mc Calla, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Mc Calla, AL
10 Assisted Living Facilities near Mc Calla, AL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Mc Calla
McCalla, which is located in the north-central region of Alabama, is home to the Iron & Steel Museum of Alabama, where visitors can learn about iron-making in the 19th century. This community has a little over 16,000 residents and a senior community that makes up roughly 15% of the total population.
Local seniors have more than a dozen assisted living facilities in the McCalla region to choose from, including two within McCalla and 11 more nearby. In this region, as in all of the state, assisted living facilities are licensed by the Department of Public Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Mc Calla
- McCalla seniors do not pay state income tax on Social Security income or disbursements from government or private pensions. However, income drawn from retirement savings accounts is fully taxable.
- The McCalla area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Bessemer.
- The American Lung Association gives Jefferson County, where McCalla is located, an F for ozone pollution and an A for short-term particle pollution, as well as a passing score for annual particle pollution. Because a region's air quality can significantly impact residents' quality of life, seniors may want to talk to their doctors about how McCalla's air quality could affect their health.
- Summer highs in McCalla reach into the 90s, which may be a concern for seniors who prefer mild climates. Winters are chilly with lows in the low 30s, and the area receives just 1 inch of annual snowfall on average.
- The overall crime rate in McCalla is lower than that of the nation as a whole, making the city a good option for seniors who are looking for a safe community to spend their retirement years. On a 100-point scale with a low score representing less reported crime, the community's violent crime rate is 14.7, compared to the U.S. average of 22.7, and the property crime rate is 19.2, versus the national average of 35.4.
- The overall cost of living in McCalla is about 12% higher than the statewide average but on par with the national average, which may be a consideration for seniors who are living on a fixed income.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Mc Calla
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Alabama
Assisted Living costs in Mc Calla start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Mc Calla and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Mc Calla
Alabama does not presently have any waivers that provide financial assistance for assisted living fees or services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Mc Calla
Mc Calla and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Mc Calla, please visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Mc Calla
Mc Calla-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Alabama are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Mc Calla
Review of Plantation Manor Retirement Community
I looked at Plantation Manor and I didnt really like it. I didnt have any negatives about the staff, and the staff was nice. They have a lot of patients, and they have quite a few residents who s... Read more
Review of Woodlands Assisted Living
Woodlands Assisted Living was older, but family-owned. The nursing facility section was large. Down the hill from that, they have a place for assisted living. We had called ahead of time, but the l... Read more
Review of Plantation Manor Retirement Community
My family member is currently at Plantation Manor Specialty Care Assisted Living. This facility is very caring and you can truly tell that the staff there love their residents! I visited a few mon... Read more