5 Assisted Living Facilities near Northfield, VT
Also serving communities of Barre, Montpelier, Chelsea, Fairlee.
There are 5 Assisted Living Facilities in the Northfield area, with 2 in Northfield and 3 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 4 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Northfield. Better rated regions include Williamstown with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Northfield, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Northfield, VT
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Northfield
Known for its stunning natural beauty in the heart of the Green Mountains of Northern Vermont, Northfield is home to more than 6,000 residents, 16.6% of whom are aged 65 and over. Accommodations for some of the seniors in the community who require assistance with daily tasks is available at two assisted living facilities in Northfield and three more facilities nearby. Vermont licenses these facilities as either residential care homes (RCHs) or assisted living residences (ALRs). Some communities may have special care units (SCUs) to take care of seniors with extra needs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Northfield
- Northfield has very good air quality, so seniors should feel comfortable breathing while doing outdoor activities. The EPA gives the area an air quality score of 91, which is among the highest in the nation.
- The winter in Northfield is typically very cold and snowy which may not be appealing to active seniors who are sensitive to cold. The average low temperature in January is six degrees, and an average of 90 inches of snow falls per year.
- Seniors have access to public transportation between Montpelier and Northfield on Green Mountain Transit Agency's commuter route 93. Residents aged 60 or over can purchase fares and passes at a discount.
- Northfield has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Berlin.
- Average expenses for residents in Northfield are lower than the averages for both the state and nation which may be appealing to seniors on limited budgets. The overall cost of living rating is 95.7 compared to 100 for the USA and 101 for Vermont.
- Seniors in Northfield below a certain income threshold don't have to pay any state income tax on their Social Security benefits. Those who do owe some amount in taxes may be eligible for the Elderly or Totally Disabled Tax Credit.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Northfield
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Vermont
Assisted Living costs in Northfield start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Northfield and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Northfield
Seniors may be able to offset the cost of assisted living in Northfield through the Assistive Community Care Services (ACCS) Program or Global Commitment to Health Waiver. These are Medicaid programs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Vermont page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Vermont page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Northfield
Northfield and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Northfield, please visit our Assisted Living in Vermont page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Northfield
Northfield-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Vermont are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Vermont page for more information about these laws.