2 Assisted Living Facilities in Butte, MT
The average cost of assisted living in Butte is $1,850 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Butte, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Butte, MT
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Butte
More than 4,000 historic buildings make the former mining town of Butte, Montana, a unique and interesting place to live for its residents, of which approximately 17% are seniors. Some of them live in one of the three assisted living facilities in the community. As in all of Montana, assisted living is licensed and regulated by the Department of Public Health and Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Butte
- Residents of Butte can expect to experience all four seasons, but with an average snowfall of 62 inches in the winter, getting around may be difficult for seniors with mobility problems.
- The cost of living in Butte is slightly lower than the average cost of living both nationally and for the state of Montana. However, the cost of groceries is somewhat higher, so seniors who like to dine out frequently may find this a bit pricey.
- Montana taxes most forms of retirement income with a portion of Social Security being taxed depending on income level. Residents of assisted living facilities may qualify for the Elderly Homeowner/Renter Tax Credit (2EC) so it's worth checking with the individual facility. There is no sales tax in Montana.
- The rate of both property and violent crimes is significantly higher in Butte than in the rest of the state or across the nation. For seniors considering making Butte their home, this might be a strong determining factor.
- Butte has a comprehensive bus system with five different routes running through the city, and everyone rides free. There is limited service on Saturdays, and no service on Sundays. Seniors with disabilities can also schedule a paratransit service.
- For seniors who enjoy arts and culture, Butte is rich with opportunities. The city has shops and restaurants for all tastes, and it features touring Broadway productions and top entertainers. There are numerous festivals for seniors to enjoy, including Evel Knievel days, a big St Patrick's Day celebration and a regular summer farmer's market.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Butte
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Montana
Assisted Living costs in Butte start around $1,850 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Butte and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Butte
The Montana government provides the Big Sky Medicaid Waiver program to assist seniors with limited income and resources pay for assisted living facilities. There is an application process through the Senior and Long Term Care Division of the Department of Public Health and Human Services. There may be a waiting list for this waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Montana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Montana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Butte
Butte and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Butte, please visit our Assisted Living in Montana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Butte
Butte-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Montana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Montana page for more information about these laws.