2 Assisted Living Facilities in Kirksville, MO
Also serving communities of Unionville.
To help you with your search, browse the 3 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Kirksville. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Kirksville 4.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Macon with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Kirksville, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Kirksville
Located near Thousand Hills State Park in northern Missouri, Kirksville is home to just over 17,550 people. Nearly one in eight of these residents are over 65, and if they want to learn something new, they can take free classes at Truman State University.
To care for seniors who can no longer live independently, Kirksville has two assisted living facilities. Both of these residences, just like others throughout the Show-Me State, are licensed by the Section for Long-Term Care Regulation, a division of the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Kirksville
- Seniors who need to go to shopping centers or medical appointments can use Kirk-Tran, the city’s public transit service. A deviated fixed-route bus service operates between Monday and Saturday. To get to destinations that aren’t served by this route, seniors can book rides on a weekday curb-to-curb service.
- Kirksville has an array of community resources for seniors, including Heartland RSVP, an organization that helps seniors find volunteer opportunities and make a difference in the community, as well as two senior centers.
- The Kirksville area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Northeast Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Compared to most places in Missouri, Kirksville is colder. During the summer, there are only about 16 days with high temperatures in the 90s. Seniors from hotter parts of the state, like St. Louis, may want to move to Kirksville to get a break from the summer heat.
- Kirksville has an active arts and culture scene. At Truman State University's art gallery, seniors can admire work by both students and professionals. Seniors can also visit the university for musicals, concerts and dance performances. A local acting troupe puts on shows throughout the year at the Curtain Call Theater.
- For seniors, one of Kirksville’s drawbacks may be its overall crime rate, which is higher than 83% of communities in Missouri. Most of the crimes that happen here are property crimes, and residents have a 1 in 29 chance of becoming a victim. Fortunately, violent crimes are much less common.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Kirksville
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Missouri
Assisted Living costs in Kirksville start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Kirksville and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Kirksville
In Kirksville, assisted living residents may qualify for several state-funded financial assistance programs. Through its optional state supplementation program, Missouri may top-up the federal SSI benefit for seniors who live in assisted living. Cash assistance may also be available from the Supplemental Nursing Care program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Kirksville
Kirksville and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Kirksville, please visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Kirksville
Kirksville-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Missouri are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Kirksville
Review of Highland Crest
My mother lived at Highland Crest for the past two and a half years before she passed away. My family and I were living out-of-town so we relied heavily on the support, kindness and professionalis... Read more
Review of Highland Crest
We're very impressed with Highland Crest. The care that our friend is getting is wonderful. She enjoys the meals and living there. The director is a lovely, efficient lady and the nurse is very on ... Read more
Review of Highland Crest
My grandmother has stayed at Highland Crest for the last four years and has seen a marked increase in her personal well being and happiness. Back in Kirksville, she lived a fair distance away from ... Read more