2 Assisted Living Facilities in Edina, MO
Also serving communities of La Belle, Memphis, Kahoka.
The average cost of assisted living in Edina is $2,100 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Edina, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Edina, MO
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Edina
Edina is a city in Knox County, located in northeast Missouri, and it's home to the Edina Double Square Historic District, which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1999. Edina is a relatively small city with a population of 1,118, 23.1% of which are seniors that are age 65 and older. To accommodate seniors who need assistance with activities of daily living, such as grooming and medication management, there are two assisted living facilities within the city. These facilities are regulated and licensed by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Edina
- Although it is considered cooler than the rest of Missouri, Edina can get pretty warm, with temperatures in the summer months averaging around 86 degrees. The city also receives significant amounts of snowfall that average 18 inches a year. This is ideal for seniors who don't mind a mixture of warm and freezing cold temperatures throughout the year.
- Since the cost of living in Edina is 22.6% lower than the national average, seniors have more money to dedicate toward their assisted living budgets.
- The crime rate in Edina is very low, making it a safe place for seniors. Property crime is 22.8% lower than the state's average and 16.8% lower than the national average, and violent crime is 17.2% lower than the state's average and 11% lower than the rest of the nation.
- The Edina area has no facilities from which to choose from in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Kirksville.
- Seniors who receive Social Security may be exempt from taxation if they file as single and earn less than $85,000 per year or if they file jointly and earn less than $100,000 per year. Public pension income may be eligible for a deduction; otherwise, all other forms of retirement income are taxed.
- There is limited public transportation in Edina, but seniors can schedule transportation through companies like OATS Transit, where they receive rides at a highly discounted rate.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Edina
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Missouri
Assisted Living costs in Edina start around $2,100 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Edina and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Edina
Missouri's Medicaid program, called MO Healthnet, offers numerous resources for seniors who may need financial assistance for assisted living. Through this program, seniors can apply for waivers and income-based care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Edina
Edina and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Edina, please visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Edina
Edina-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Missouri are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page for more information about these laws.