2 Assisted Living Facilities in Wadena, MN
Also serving communities of Sebeka.
The average cost of assisted living in Wadena is $979 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Wadena, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Wadena, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Wadena
Wadena is located in central Minnesota and is known as the Largest Puzzle in the World because of the 100-plus handpainted murals on the city's small downtown, presenting over 1,000 years of Minnesota history. The community is small, with a population of just 800, although 23% of Wadena residents are seniors aged 65 and older. Many of these individuals may need to move into one of Wadena's two assisted living facilities, with trained staff available to help them retain independence in a secure environment. In Wadena, and throughout the state, these group homes are licensed and regulated by the Minnesota Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Wadena
- The Wadena area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Tri-County Health Care, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Weather in Wadena is characterized by long, cold winters with lots of snow. The January low temperatures can dip below zero, which may uncomfortable for seniors who are sensitive to the cold. Summers are mild with July highs rarely breaking out of the mid-80s.
- The overall cost of living in Wadena is 10 points lower than the U.S. average. A slightly lower cost of living, including housing and grocery costs, may make assisted living fees less expensive than in other parts of the state, which can be important for seniors who have limited funds.
- The Wadena area is served by the Friendly Rider public transportation system, which operates during the day every day of the week. There is also handicapped-accessible transportation offered.
- The state of Minnesota has a state income tax on Social Security income and retirement pensions, excluding military pensions, which may be important for Wadena seniors on a tight budget. However, if an individual's income is exclusively derived from Social Security, they may be exempt from the state income tax.
- Wadena has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Wadena Senior Center, an organization that offers seniors opportunities for socialization and organized activities, and minor health checks as well as several other senior centers in the neighboring towns and counties.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Wadena
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Wadena start around $979 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Wadena and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Wadena
The state of Minnesota Medicaid program has an Elderly Waiver to help seniors who meet certain income guidelines afford assisted living. There is an exception for seniors who are above the income cap but are classified as medically needy to enroll in the program, as well.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Wadena
Wadena and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Wadena, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Wadena
Wadena-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.