2 Assisted Living Facilities in Munising, MI
Also serving communities of Manistique.
The average cost of assisted living in Munising is $3,490 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Munising. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Munising 2.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Marquette with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Munising, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Munising, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Munising
Munising is a community on the northern edge of the Upper Peninsula, surrounded by the Hiawatha National Forest and adjacent to the stunning promontories of nearby Lake Superior. Home to only 9,000 people, over 26% of Alger County's residents are seniors aged 65 and over. The area inside the township's limits contains three assisted living facilities for these seniors, who receive room and board and help with personal care for their monthly rent payment. Many assisted living facilities in Munising are licensed and overseen by the Michigan Department of Human Services, though the state does not always require licensure.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Munising
- The weather in Munising is highly seasonal, with mild summers and very blustery winters that may be difficult for cold-sensitive seniors. Summertime high temperatures average 74 degrees in Munising, while winter lows drop to just 11 overnight. Roughly 38 inches of rain fall on Munising during spring and fall, while winter brings a heavy 152 inches of snow.
- The cost of living in Munising is generally somewhat lower than the national average. Across all categories of common household expenses, residents of Munising pay about 14% less than the national average. Seniors in Munising, on the other hand, can expect to pay healthcare expenses that are exactly in line with the national average price.
- Crime rates in Munising are very low, with especially low rates of violent crime. Across all categories, Munising posts crime rates that are close to half the national average. Seniors in Munising live in a community with rates of violent crime even lower than that, at about one-third the national average.
- Alger Transit Authority (ALTRAN) provides most of the public transportation service in Munising. This is an on-demand service, which offers regular routes seniors in Munising can rideshare with, door-to-door service for disabled ride vehicles and ADA-compliant buses and vans seniors can ride with their attendants.
- The Munising area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Munising Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Munising has an array of community resources for seniors, including the CSFP Supplemental Food Program, an organization that delivers meals and educates seniors about healthy nutrition, as well as two senior centers.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Munising
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Munising start around $3,490 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Munising and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Munising
Seniors in Munising with serious financial needs may be able to get help from the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program. This is a federal benefit program, to which Michigan adds a small cash stipend. Seniors who receive SSI in Michigan automatically qualify for Medicaid.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Munising
Munising and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Munising, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Munising
Munising-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Munising
Review of Harbour View Assisted Living Center
I visited Harbour View. I think this facility was very cramped inside and it was very "hospital-ish." It did not have a comfortable feeling to it at all. It was noisy and I didn't think it's that c... Read more