2 Assisted Living Facilities in Bishop, CA
The average cost of assisted living in Bishop is $2,600 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Bishop, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Bishop, CA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Bishop
Bishop is a rustic former mining town in the rugged peaks of the Sierra Nevada mountains, neatly tucked between national parks. Nearly 18,000 people live in Bishop, with substantially more than 23% of residents being seniors aged 65 and over. Only eight assisted living facilities operate in the entirety of Inyo County, none of which are located inside the Bishop city limits. Inyo County's assisted living communities are licensed and regulated by the California Department of Social Services' Community Care Licensing Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Bishop
- The weather in Bishop is characterized by summer high temperatures that hover around 98 degrees in August, while January lows dip to just 22. With very clear skies and not much moisture in the air, Bishop gets only 5 inches of rain and 6 inches of snow a year. Seniors who are sensitive to the dry mountain air may need a humidifier to manage indoor conditions, especially during the dry fall months.
- The cost of living in Bishop is 30% above the national cost of living overall. This is low by California standards, where combined personal costs can run to 67% above the national average. Seniors in Bishop actually pay 5% less for their healthcare than the national median.
- Crime rates in Bishop are a paradox. While the local area has an extremely high rate of burglaries and thefts, enough to drive the overall crime rate to nearly double the national average, Bishop reports few crimes in other categories. Bishop sees just a dozen or so violent crimes a year, making it one of the safest towns in the region for seniors.
- Public transportation in Bishop is provided by the Eastern Sierra Transit Authority (ESTA), which covers much of Inyo County with regular bus service. ESTA operates in most of the communities along the 395 corridor, and seniors in Bishop can book dial-a-ride service for appointments as far out as Big Pine.
- The Bishop area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Northern Inyo Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Bishop has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Inyo Mono Senior Program, an organization that provides classes and nutrition services for local seniors as well as seven senior centers.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and is based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Bishop
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in California
Assisted Living costs in Bishop start around $2,600 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Bishop and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Bishop
Seniors in Bishop may be able to get help with the monthly cost of assisted living through the federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program, which is administered at the state level in California.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in California page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Bishop
Bishop and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Bishop, please visit our Assisted Living in California page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Bishop
Bishop-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in California are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in California page for more information about these laws.