Colonial Harbor

Reviews of Colonial Harbor

Independent Living Reviews for Colonial Harbor

September 28, 2017

By Joan

I toured Colonial Harbor. I had dinner there. The food was good, and we enjoyed the meal. My daughter and my grandson went with me. They do three meals a day. The staff members were very nice and very helpful. They actually invited me to come back and take part in a couple of their activities. I took part in the art activities, which was painting that afternoon. I'm actually supposed to bring a painting that I made over there, and they're going to hang it up. It's not very far away from where I'm living now, and it's not too far away from my daughter or my grandson. That was a nice part. I was pleased with the number of activities that they have going on there, so you're not just sitting in your room. The place was really neat and clean.

Joan, thank you so much for the positive review! We always strive to provide top quality service to every guest, and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience here at Colonial Harbor!

April 14, 2017

By Sandi854732

Colonial Harbor had a set eating time where everyone has to go down and get just 1 of 2 things to eat. We actually arrived there during the mealtime, which was very unsightly. We also noticed that not only was the food bad, but expecting 100 to 150 grown men and women to sit down at the same time and wait for their meal was just insulting. And then, to tell them that they could only go to the doctor on 2 days of the week --- good luck on getting a doctor’s appointment when you want one! It was very old and needed updating.

Hi, we appreciate you taking the time to provide us feedback, we are always looking for ways to improve our services.

April 11, 2017

By Debbie711182

When I walked into Colonial Harbor, the layout gave me a sense that it was grand. It was like going into an amazing cruise ship. As we were walking around, the people who were showing me around were actively engaged with the people, knew their names, and stopped to talk. The amenities were great, and the people looked happy. They were actively moving about and doing things. The apartments with their different layouts were great, very clean, and very nice. They have recently switched over to instead of having call bells with strings in the room, they are now going to have pendants that they can wear. This one was really good.

November 22, 2015

By Teresa115818150

Colonial Harbor was great. They made us feel real comfortable. The rooms were nice, new, and had lots of storage. They have a lot of activities like craft days and a crochet club.

October 27, 2015

My girlfriend lives at Colonial Harbor. I love it; it is fantastic. I like the fact that I don't have to do anything. All I have to do is get up, and they take of care of everything -- weekend trips, three meals a day, and they clean the house up. They are nice, down-to-earth, and they make you feel so comfortable. I do not have any complaints at all. Every Friday, they go out of town on a weekend trip. They also have concerts once a week, bring in animals to pet, and the Girls and Boy Scouts come there, too. It is patriotic environmat, which is very nice.

September 20, 2015

Our visit with Colonial Harbor Center was great. It was comfortable, very welcoming, and it was not rushed at all. They took their time with us. We were even able to re-schedule it for a time where we could come and not only walk around and see the various programs and places that they had in the community, but also we got to sit down ate lunch with all the residents. That gave us the idea on what the meals looked like and what they tasted like by sampling the food. We actually got to sit with the community members directly, which was great. Everyone we spoke with had nothing but good things to say about the community and the staff. All of them were very friendly, not just the one that was providing us with the tour and information, but also the cleaning personnel, and kitchen staff. The rooms were good. They were small, but while they were small, they had everything that the individual would need. They had a kitchen in them. They were clean and well kept. They would kind of like grow with you in the sense of needs type of facility. As the resident aged, these rooms could accommodate them. They were handicapped accessible, and the safety equipment was already in them. The grounds were beautiful. They had so many community rooms. You would not have a sense that people just stayed in their apartment. There were community living rooms, community dining rooms, and they were not facilities; they were literally like living rooms. They were very comfortable. It was like you were in someone's home, and everyone was out and about, hanging out, talking, and it was very nice. They had several meeting groups, clubs, and activities. They had one of those van looking things. It was big, and it was handicapped accessible. They do various tours like they would go to the botanical garden, which was a big tourist attraction around here. There was a schedule of events all the time. It was independent living. A resident could have car. They could have guests stay. For people who had families out of state, they had apartments that the family could come and stay at. What was even more interesting was that there were other Colonial Harbor, and the residents could travel to different states and stay for 7 days free of charge at a different location if they wanted to visit family. It was definitely a benefit. You could enjoy their activities and meals. You would be included in everything.

July 28, 2015

By Junette

Colonial Harbor was very nice. The dining room was huge. I think my father-in-law was paying $3400 for the two-bedroom suite, and he had an outside porch. The grounds were well kept. They had a laundry room. They had activities like cards, poker nights, and movies.

May 26, 2015

Colonial Harbor was smaller, and it was not a continuing care arrangement. It was independent living, so it was not going to work for us. We didn't dwell too long because we knew that it wasn't really what we were looking for, so we just took a quick look. It was nice, and the staff was very accommodating.

April 27, 2015

By Linda104821050

We chose Colonial Harbor for my friend because the rooms were a lot bigger. They were a lot friendlier, and the food was excellent.

December 30, 2014

By Patricia96182350

I'm living at Colonial Harbor. The atmosphere is very pleasant. They give us three meals a day and snack. We have lots of planned activities and usually at least two outings a month. We have lots and lots of activities here. We have a bus that is really old and it doesn't have a lift for wheelchairs or for people who can't climb. They need a new one. It is a nice pleasant atmosphere. Most people are really sweet. However, they need to improve on communication. We have activities scheduled up for the month, but a lot of times these activities change and if you're not at lunch at the particular day they announce the change, there is no way for you to know about it.

October 02, 2014

By Nelson5

My aunt’s been in Colonial Harbor since July 2014. The staff is pleasant and as nice as possible. I know that they bring in musical artists from outside. They have bingo activities and games. They have non-denominational -- maybe even denominational -- religious services that they do there for those who want to participate. They have a shuttle system that will take the seniors out if they have medical things to do or go shopping. So there are things to do out there for sure. The area is good. It’s a beautiful place. One of the good things about Colonial Harbor is that it’s very well lit so the atmosphere was very inviting. If you have seen their website, I think it’s pretty accurate in terms of the pictures that you see. I think the housekeeping and all that comes along with the apartment that she chose; also she has an independent company that do a good job in keeping her place nice and neat. I enjoy every time I’ve been over there to visit. We have nothing but good things to say about the place. We've visited a number of places, but this turned out to be the right one.

September 10, 2014

By rickymartin

This place is awesome. 3 meals a day and good food too. My Mom lives here (Mrs. Martin) and she is treated with respect and kindness. The interior design is a happy color and makes the people happy to be in the area. My Mom loves it here and says this is here home. If I were to live in a senior place, this would be it. Thanks to God management still cares about older people and loves the tenants here. God blessings are here too.

August 29, 2014

By Monique4

At Colonial Harbor, they don’t have a kitchen so all your meals have to be taken downstairs in their dining room. All you have in your room is a tiny little sink and a tiny fridge, and that turned me off completely. They don’t have many amenities; there is no swimming pool, but I am sure they've got certain activities. As soon as we saw the apartment, we got a bad feeling because when we walked over there, they had booked us for the night and the apartment that we were supposed to have was not available, so they put us in an efficiency with a fold-out bed. That was the most uncomfortable thing that I've slept in, in my whole life. The staff that accommodated us was OK, but nothing exciting. There were some questions that she didn’t know the answers to, although she hadn’t been there very long.

Hello, we are disappointed that when you toured with us we did not meet your expectations, but appreciate being considered in your search for senior living.

October 17, 2013

By Caring71905350

Colonial Harbor was wide. They had staff available 24/7 so if any of the cords were pulled, they could help somebody. Even though they were not trained medically, they would stay with the person until the medical service came. They served meals. They had activities. They also brought their residents to grocery stores. The also had elevators, so people with walkers and wheelers could go around the facility even though they couldn't move that much. They were also allowed to bring their own nurses, if needed.

July 29, 2013

By Kim25

When my mom started out with Colonial Harbor, they told her that she will go to a nursing home, but she improved so much so they said she could go to independent living and that's why she chose it and she is quite happy and comfortable with them. She ended up saving hundreds of dollars amount over an assisted care and she can save that money so that when she needs help she can pay for them. Her room is nice, it looks out in the woods. It's in a convenient location. They have live-in staff that if someone didn't show up for the meal, they will come looking for them. They have the ability to bring in outside care. They also have somebody to clean for them and they got three meals a day. They have a full schedule of activities. They have exercise classes, they have a small gym, the have field trips and they have a bus who takes them to their appointment and shopping. It is a perfect place for her and I know she's being watched. I definitely recommend this community to others.

October 29, 2012

By yorkie1

I visited the facility in Yorktown, Virginia to visit a relative. It was a new, clean complex located right in the heart of everything. There is shopping, restaurants, and many cultural attractions located nearby. The staff seemed very friendly and accommodating to the residents. I was treated very professionally as a visitor to the facility. After hearing horror stories about other such facilities I was apprehensive about visiting but my fears were soon allayed and I would strongly recommend this facility to others who are looking for a assisted living facility for themselves or their relative. A major feature I liked was the garden courtyard area which was well maintained and landscaped. It was a peaceful place, perfect for enjoying a nice day with a book. The library and billiards room were also pleasant surprises in how nice they were. I feel like my family made the right choice in choosing this facility for our relative.

Costs for Colonial Harbor

Photos of Colonial Harbor

Services and Amenities of Colonial Harbor

• Independent Living Starting At: $1949/month

• Housing Extra: Individual Climate Control, Safety Rails In Bathroom, Telephone Hookup

• Dining Extra: Private Dining Room, Resident Kitchen

• Hiking Trails
  • Features Extra: Laundry Room For Use, Chapel, Library, Locked Mailboxes, Elevator

• Technology Extra: Wi Fi In Common Areas

• Activities Extra: Billiard Lounge, Game Room, Activity Room

• Pets: Most Pets Allowed

About Colonial Harbor

Colonial Harbor is located in Yorktown, VA, providing a vibrant backdrop for your new life as a valued member of our caring community.

So come to Colonial Harbor for a visit...and stay!

Map of Colonial Harbor