2 Assisted Living Facilities in Benson, MN
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Benson, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Benson
Benson is home to a sizable senior population, with more than 22% of the city's 3,200 residents aged 65 and over. Seniors choosing to retire to the area can enjoy a small-town lifestyle and there are more than 10 fish-filled lakes in the area to appeal to fishing enthusiasts. There are also two assisted living facilities in Benson that cater to older adults who need some help with activities of daily living. The facilities are licensed and monitored by Minnesota's Home Care and Assisted Living Program.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Benson
- Summers in Benson are mild, with an average high temperature in July of 83 degrees. In January the average low is 2 degrees and the town gets 44 inches of snow each year, 16 more inches than the U.S. average. Seniors have ample time to spend outdoors as there are 202 sunny days each year, just three fewer than the national average.
- The overall crime rate in Benson is just 1 crime per 1,000 residents. The violent crime rate is 0.32, more than 2 points below the Minnesota median. The property crime rate in Benson is 0.65, while the Minnesota median is 21.92. Safety-conscious seniors may feel secure living in one of the nation's safest cities.
- The Benson area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Swift County - Benson Health Services, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Prairie Five RIDES operates a demand-response bus service in the City of Benson. The bus provides transport around the city and to other areas in Minnesota and the eastern parts of North and South Dakota. Senior passengers are eligible for discounted fares.
- Benson has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Minnesota River Area Agency on Aging, an organization that helps build communities where older adults live with dignity and respect, as well as more than one senior centers.
- The overall cost of living in Benson is rated 80.5 on the Sperling index, almost 20 points lower than the national average. Healthcare costs are rated 86.7, compared to the U.S. average of 100, which may help the budgets of seniors with health conditions, although grocery costs are slightly higher than average.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Benson
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Benson start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Benson and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Benson
The Optional State Supplement is available to Benson residents who receive Social Security Income. Residents of assisted living facilities may also be able to access financial assistance through the Elderly Waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Benson
Benson and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Benson, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Benson
Benson-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.