2 Assisted Living Facilities in Charles City, IA
Also serving communities of Nashua, Rudd, New Hampton.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Charles City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Charles City 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Waverly with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Charles City, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Charles City, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Charles City
Charles City is a historic location in Floyd County, Iowa, and was home to the manufacturing plant that produced the country’s first production-model tractor. Seniors can experience the community's cultural charm and then head home to one of two assisted living facilities within the city or among nine others in nearby Waverly, Mason City and Cedar Falls. Officially named as Assisted Living Programs, these facilities are certified by Iowa's Health Facilities Division under the Department of Inspections and Appeals.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Charles City
- Seniors in Iowa enjoy a moderately friendly state tax policy on retirement income. Social Security income is exempted from taxes, while withdrawals from retirement accounts and public and private pension income are partially taxed. This translates into reasonable savings for senior residents in Charles City.
- The comfort index for Charles City is listed at 28 out of 100, which is below the U.S. average of 54. Winter months have an annual low average temperature of nine degrees, which may be uncomfortable for seniors with a low tolerance for cold weather. Snowfall averages 36 inches per year, higher than the national average of 26.
- The Charles City area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Floyd County Medical Center in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Charles City is a relatively peaceful neighborhood. Compared to the U.S. property crime index of 38.1 and the state’s 28.7, the city registers a lower property crime index of 27 out of 100. The violent crime index is listed at 16.7, which is several notches below the national index of 31.1 and Iowa’s 25.2.
- Although the city’s overall cost of living average at 82 indicates a more favorable index than the national average of 100 and the state’s 90, grocery and health indices show much higher values. Groceries are listed at 101.7, while health is at 124. This means higher costs for seniors’ daily supplies and healthcare maintenance.
- In partnership with the North Iowa Area Council of Governments and the Circle K Electronics, the city operates the Charles City Public Transit which provides transport services within the city limits and to selected locations just outside the city limits. Tickets are offered at discounted prices for senior patrons.
Paying for Assisted Living in Charles City
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Charles City start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Charles City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Charles City
Senior residents of Charles City may avail of the Medicaid Home and Community Based Services Elderly Waiver administered by Iowa’s Department of Human Services. Members are granted individualized, comprehensive plans that are developed by an interdisciplinary team.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Charles City
Charles City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Charles City, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Charles City
Charles City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Charles City
Review of Riverside Senior Living
The place is nice and clean, but their office girl, Jessica is rude and says she is helpful, but really isn't. She likes gossip and talking about others. It was hard to be a family member there. If... Read more