3 Assisted Living Facilities in Canby, MN
Also serving communities of Minneota.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Canby. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Canby 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Montevideo with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Canby, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Canby
Canby is a small city in the western part of Yellow Medicine County that's known as the Gateway to the Prairie. Almost 1,800 people live in the city and more than 28% of the population is aged 65 and over. Seniors in the area have many opportunities to enjoy fishing, golf and other outdoor activities. Canby is also home to three assisted living facilities for seniors who are mostly independent but need some help with day-to-day activities. In Canby and the rest of Minnesota, assisted living facilities are overseen by the Home Care and Assisted Living Program.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Canby
- The overall cost of living in Canby is 79.5 on the Sperling index, 20.5 points lower than the U.S. average. Seniors may find groceries expensive as they cost 4.5 points more than the national average. However, healthcare costs are 12 points lower, which can help the budget of people with regular medical expenses.
- Canby may be appealing to seniors who like white winters, as the city gets 45 inches of snow each year. The city is very cold during the winter season, with average low temperatures of 4 degrees in January. Summers are mild and the average high in July is 84 degrees.
- In Minnesota, income tax is payable on all retirement income, including money from Social Security, pensions and retirement savings accounts. Sales taxes are also high in the state, although medicines and most groceries and clothing are exempt, which can help seniors save money for assisted living.
- The Canby area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Sanford Canby Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Public transport is available in Canby through the Prairie Five RIDES transit system. The service is a curb-to-curb, on-demand service, that provides transport around Canby and to other areas in Minnesota and eastern North and South Dakota. Passengers aged 60 and older are eligible for discounted fares.
- Canby has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Minnesota River Area Agency on Aging, an organization that strives to help older adults live a healthy, active and fulfilling life, as well as one senior center.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Canby
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Canby start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Canby and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Canby
The Optional State Supplement is available to eligible Canby residents who receive Social Security Income. Residents of assisted living facilities may also be able to get financial assistance through the Elderly Waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Canby
Canby and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Canby, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Canby
Canby-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Canby, MN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Canby
Review of Canby Clinic
The staff are friendly and caring to the residents and have always been most helpful to visitors. They are professional in demeanor and dress. There among is a wide age representation among the sta... Read more