17 Assisted Living Facilities near Agawam, MA
Also serving communities of Westfield.
There are 17 Assisted Living Facilities in the Agawam area, with 4 in Agawam and 13 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 99 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Agawam. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Agawam 4.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Suffield with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Agawam, call (855) 863-8283.
4 Assisted Living Facilities in Agawam, MA
13 Assisted Living Facilities near Agawam, MA
Assisted Living near Agawam, MA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Agawam
Review of Heritage Woods
We have chosen The Birches (Heritage Woods) memory care in the Heritage Woods building for Mom. It came highly recommended and we in turn greatly recommend this facility. They have a dining area (l... Read more
Review of Heritage Woods
My mom is in Heritage Woods now. They are very nice and attentive. She likes the food and the dining setup. Her apartment is big enough for her. She is comfortable there. Read more
Review of Heritage Woods
We know most of the people that work at Heritage Woods. The facility is very well laid out. There are activities all the time; there is a guy who plays piano once in a while, sing alongs, and trips... Read more
Assisted Living near Hampden County, MA
More Options Near Agawam, MA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Agawam
Tucked away in Hampden County near the Connecticut border, Agawam, Massachusetts, is a charming colonial city with nearly 400 years of history. This town of 28,000 has a vibrant senior community that represents almost 17 percent of its population. Agawam's senior citizens are served by four assisted living facilities. More than a dozen additional communities overseen by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs are located in greater Springfield.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Agawam
- Since 2017, Agawam has been a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities. According to AARP, this means that elected leaders are dedicated to making their town, city or county a great place for residents of all ages.
- As part of this commitment, Agawam has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Agawam Council on Aging, an organization that is dedicated to "meeting the information, service and recreation needs of older adults" while promoting "a spirit of healthy, positive aging." The community also has six senior centers.
- Thanks to its distance from Boston's bustling streets, Hampden County has excellent air quality. The American Lung Association found that the Springfield-Greenfield Town statistical area had some of the nation's lowest levels of particulates, which benefits seniors and other at-risk groups.
- Agawam's blustery winter weather can keep seniors indoors for several months of the year. Compared to the average U.S. city, Agawam has a lower comfort score since it receives more rain and almost twice as much snow. In the summer, average highs and lows are between 85 and 68 degrees versus 42 and 29 degrees during the winter.
- Although Agawam has a moderate crime rate, the city is safer than 35 percent of U.S. cities. Compared to Massachusetts as a whole, seniors in this community experience a slightly higher rate of property crimes and a lower rate of violent crimes.
- For seniors who depend on a fixed income, Agawam offers a competitive cost of living that is lower than the rest of Massachusetts and on par with most of the country. Residents spend slightly more on housing and utilities but less on health care.
Paying for Assisted Living in Agawam
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Massachusetts
Assisted Living costs in Agawam start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Agawam and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Agawam
Medicaid-eligible seniors in Agawam may receive financial assistance from MassHealth's Personal Care Attendant program. While these subsidies do not apply to room and board, they do cover the cost of daily living assistance. Eligibility is based on financial criteria and the resident's level of need as assessed by a healthcare professional.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Agawam
Agawam and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Agawam, please visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Agawam
Agawam-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Massachusetts are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page for more information about these laws.