StoneRidge Mystic, CT

Nursing Home Reviews for StoneRidge

Continuing Care Retirement Community Reviews for StoneRidge

July 26, 2020

By MarthaMD

My sister has been a resident of StoneRidge/Avalon since she experienced a traumatic brain injury. She first entered the community in the independent living facilities and has now moved over to continuing care in Avalon. I am so impressed by the quality of care and attention she receives as well as the genuine, caring attitude that each and every member of the Avalon staff has as they work with the residents. Every interaction I've had from working with the director to the aides has been professional as well as caring, and I am comforted knowing that she is in the best possible community and that she has a quality of life that is rewarding. Her room is beautiful, and she has a number of her own pieces of art and furniture that make it feel like home; the food is wonderful, and there are numerous social activities to engage in that are rewarding and nourishing for brain, body and soul. My family and I are so grateful for the care the Avalon team provides, and I highlight recommend it for anyone who is looking for long term care for a loved one or family member.

February 06, 2020

By Dan Barrett

"Resident-Led Activities" A wonderful feature of living at StoneRidge is the enthusiastic support from the administrative team for "Resident-Led Activities". The renovation of an underutilized and cluttered woodworking shop is a case in point. Instigated and led by a group of like-minded residents who put in many hours of designing,planning,cleaning and just plain hard work, a total restoration of the shop was recently completed. This undertaking, initiated by residents, was fully endorsed and supported by the administration community. It now is clean ,bright, beautifully organized and stocked with a myriad of tools, equipment and supplies. Many residents now happily enjoy working on projects in the new woodworking shop. The Billiard Room sat virtually unused and in jeopardy of being converted into a conference room until another resident-led group appealed to the administrative community to give it a face lift. The results are that the venerable old pool table has been completely restored to it's former glory, and a new set of pool sticks and new score board have been added to the room. A television for viewing sports and a competitive dart board completed the restoration and it now is a multi-use Game Room enjoyed by many residents. These are but a few of the ways in which the whole StoneRidge community works together to make living here an evolving and wonderful experience.

Dear Dan, Thanks to your leadership and the efforts of other residents who helped, we can once again hear the sounds of laughter and collegiality from both the woodworking shop and the billiards room! It is a joy to see the creations coming from the woodworking shop - so many talented residents who are actively pursuing their passions and discovering new skills. I love the energy that you and Cynthia bring to the StoneRidge community. You and others are what makes this such a special place to live and work. Thank you for your wonderful review and for all that you do to make our community complete! Kind regards, Kathleen Dess Executive Director

January 10, 2020

By Daughter of happy residents

StoneRidge provides reassurance that my parents are happy and safe. For Mom (in her mid-70s), StoneRidge is a home where she can take aqua classes in the salt water pool or swim with the grandkids when they visit. She can take the grandkids to the Mystic Aquarium and Mystic Seaport. Mom also loves the parties... Memorial Day, July 4, Halloween, New Years, etc. For my Dad (in his late 80’s), StoneRidge is a home where he can participate in the balance classes a weekly tai chi group. He is active in a couple of StoneRidge committees and sings in the StoneRidge Chorus. He enjoys the concerts, parties and dinners at the Grille with my Mom and friends, but he can enjoy a slower pace than my Mom when he chooses. For me, StoneRidge is invaluable. Mom and Dad can age at their own pace…always on the same campus, together.

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. I am happy to know your parents live a happy life here at StoneRidge! Kind regards, Kathleen Dess Executive Director

December 06, 2019

By Gordon Willard

Hospitality is a core value at StoneRidge and that is evident in the Dining Room. Watching the Dining Room Team is like watching a ballet that I call ‘Collaborative Coordination’. The Dining Room staff and management (who step into the server’s role whenever needed) work together seamlessly. The staff strives not only to meet the expectations of the residents but to exceed them. Each day: (a) residents are greeted warmly, by name and with a smile; (b) the servers frequently anticipate our wishes (habits!) and help us with the menu; (c) they pay attention to the details; and (d) the servers always ask “Is there anything else I can do for you?” In addition the Dining Room Team members support each other in a ‘collaborative coordinated’ manner that is evident, particularly when it is busy. For example when a server is not busy with her/his assigned tables it is not uncommon for them to: (a) pour water for residents just seated; (b) clear dishes from a table finished with the initial course; or (c) ask a busy assigned server if she/he could help: by (a) taking orders for and serving drinks to residents just seated; or (b) ask the assigned server if it would help if she/he took the orders for dessert then cleared the dishes and served dessert and coffee. The Dining Room Team provides enjoyable and responsive service. The ‘Collaborative Coordination’ among servers results in an extraordinary experience for residents, guests and Team members!

July 25, 2019

By Harvey Austin

My wife and I have lived in StoneRidge for exactly one year. I love it. StoneRidge is the happiest place I have ever lived and I rejoice I found it. Here I have found community, something I didn’t know I was searching for, its absence so quiet and unnoticed. Until I fell into it. And I am reveling in it. I could even call it family… but a special type — my “family for the rest of my life.” Don’t misunderstand me, no one here is perfect. They’re just people, good people. In truth, I like to consider them all as lovely weirdos, each unique. And what I like most about being here at StoneRidge is that they have the space for my weirdo-ness, too. Ah, family. My family. Lucky me.

Dear Harvey, I enjoyed reading your review and am touched by the emotion that you struck. I too feel that we have captured the sense of family here at StoneRidge. Home is where the heart is - I am glad you found yours here, in the heart of Mystic at StoneRidge. Happy 1-year anniversary to you and Arleen! Thank you for the great review! Kind regards, Kathleen Dess Executive Director

July 24, 2019

By Joanie Mosier

My husband and I were living in a spacious condo in a 55-plus association in Rhode Island. We were approaching 80 and the condo’s stairs were becoming an issue for me. By chance, we received a mailing inviting us to a private luncheon in Narragansett to hear a presentation about the CCRC, StoneRidge, in Mystic, Connecticut. We accepted that invitation, a very smart move indeed! We were intrigued by what we learned that day, and soon we planned a visit to StoneRidge. We were dazzled! It reminded us of a classy hotel, and it is easy to get to from Rhode Island right off Rt. 95! During many visits and conversations with the marketing staff, we learned about the fitness program, which was very important to us, and we were treated to a variety of experiences and absorbed a great deal about what this elder community is about. And importantly, we came to realize the safety of living in a three-tier environment where, as we grew older and our needs changed, help would be available for us! We also discovered that a three-tier CCRC, Continuing Care Retirement Community, does not exist in Rhode Island. It wasn’t easy deciding to leave our home. We struggled but decided to be proactive while we were healthy in mind and body. The assistance we received from StoneRidge was fabulous. They helped us decide what possessions would fit in the apartment we chose. They packed us, moved us and unpacked us while we stayed a couple of nights there in a comfy suite provided. We’ve now been here a delightful fourteen months. This community setting stimulates our minds and bodies in countless ways, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. There is always much in which to participate and we’ve made many wonderful friends. It’s become our home! The StoneRidge staff is exceptional and to a person, each knew our names from the very first day!

July 22, 2019

By Deann Murphy

You may visit many active retirement communities or continuing care facilities, read all the reviews and brochures, etc. but until you actually move in, you’re never really sure you’ve made the right choice. Two weeks after we had moved from Westchester, New York to StoneRidge in Mystic, Ct. we knew we had made a home-run decision. How? First, we had arrived at the time of a community celebration commemorating 15 “Brilliant” years of operation.. Our apartment overlooks a beautiful “Green” where a huge festive tent was erected for the gala. We joined the residents and staff for a glorious event - “Founding Pioneers” (residents and staff) were honored, music and dancing were continuous, the food was better than any elegant country club wedding and speeches with personal stories abounded. Residents and staff were proud and happy. The next week we attended a Scholarship Awards Evening organized and hosted by the Resident Scholarship Committee (contributions are received and given anonymously annually). In an overflowing auditorium, about 20 young staff members sat on the dais proudly facing the audience. Each was introduced by the Chair of the Committee, told the audience where they were going to continue their education, in what discipline and with what goal. These were young people who serve the residents daily in the dining rooms and special facilities. They were grateful and proud - as were all the residents in the auditorium. Bottom line? Because of these two events, we quickly discovered the life affirming, unique culture of mutual respect and appreciation between the staff and residents that infuses everything at StoneRidge. We are grateful to be here. Join us!

Dear Mrs. Murphy, It amazes me how you so eloquently captured the spirit of StoneRidge in this review. Your words truly reflect the spirit of our community and the mutual admiration and respect that exists among residents and team members. We are honored that you selected StoneRidge from the many other available options for retirement living. We wish you and Mr. Murphy a fulfilling and happy life in your new StoneRidge home! Thank you for your kind words and this wonderful review! All the best, Kathleen Dess Executive Director

July 15, 2019

By Charles S

StoneRidge - People and Place We are in our second year living in the StoneRidge community and we love it! We decided several years ago we wanted to be in a Life Plan community when the older of us reached 80 and while we both were in good health. Between us we have five children living in four states - two out west. We explored communities in those states but ultimately decided on a location and community of our choice. Our first visit to StoneRidge stood in clear contrast to others we visited - because of the residents. There is a palpable warmth and vitality of community here among our residents and staff. It is seen in all the friendly greetings and conversations, and in the broad participation in the extensive activities offered here and in the greater Mystic area. We brought the four-legged member of our family to this pet-friendly community, which is well-managed for the happiness and safety of all. We chose our apartment home on the ground level for easy access to outside. This CT/RI area along the coast is abound in beauty, history, culture, cuisine and recreation for us, and for our friends and family who visit. The services, amenities and activities here at StoneRidge, including the dining venues and delicious meals, make each day a carefree, option-filled opportunity to live life in the fullest.

Dear Charlie, Thank you for your favorable comments about the StoneRidge Community. It is our good fortune that you and your wife, and your fur-baby Casey, found your way to Mystic and our Community. In two short years, you and Laurie have made such a positive difference here; from committee leadership; to facilitating discussion groups and even starting a StoneRidge band! Your positive energy truly helps makes us a gold-standard in LifePlan communities across the country and a great choice for retirement living. We appreciate your endorsement and recommendation! With kind regards, Kathleen Dess Executive Director

December 07, 2018

By benjos

The building is a carefully planned structure and is well maintained. Administration is receptive, responsive and forward looking. Present executive director is a sweetheart whom you hope will be there as long as you are. Campus was thoughtfully landscaped and is carefully looked after by both in-house staff and outside contractors. Availability of covered parking is a plus. Food is well prepared and there is a wide variety of choices in two venues (plus outside in summer). Dining room staff are pleasant, obliging and caring beyond their youthful (average) years. The fitness center manager is super and her activities extend far beyond the pool and exercise room. Community life services has organized a huge variety of activities on and off campus for those who are not yet at the couch potato stage, ranging from card games and movies to the Great Decisions program of the Foreign Policy Association. Environmental services is highly dedicated to maintaining cleanliness of resident and public spaces and has quick turnaround of those items accepted for laundering. The available garden plots are just big enough to get your hands dirty without generating anxiety about being able to take care of them. The associated nursing facility (Avalon) speaks for itself with a 5 star rating.

Dear Benjos, Thank you for your praise and kind comments about our team and Community! Your review means the world to us and your comments truly made my day! Our aim to exceed our resident's expectations every day in all that we do. We continue to set the bar high and I am overjoyed to know that you enjoy StoneRidge living. Thank you for your recommendation to inspire others who may want to "check us out!" Gratefully yours, Kathleen Dess Executive Director

December 21, 2015

By A Fellow Reviewer12

They have beautiful apartments at Stone Ridge. It was quite gorgeous and didn't feel like a nursing home. It feels like a senior living place. It is just a really beautiful place.

October 15, 2013

I would love to live at StoneRidge. It is wow. It is a different model from everything else. It is very expensive but magnificent. You have assisted living, you have long-term care, you have rehab. The food is delicious. Their facilities are elegant and beautiful. It is unbelievable.
See all Continuing Care Retirement Community reviews (16) See fewer reviews

Services and Amenities of StoneRidge

• Overall:
  • Ownership Type: For Profit Partnership
  • Date Certified: 10/01/2020

About StoneRidge

Refund Plan: 75% of Admission Fee. Assisted Living and Skilled Nursing Care on discounted Fee-For-Service basis.

Map of StoneRidge