13 Assisted Living Facilities near Smithfield, RI
There are 13 Assisted Living Facilities in the Smithfield area, with 2 in Smithfield and 11 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Smithfield is $4,025 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 84 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Smithfield. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Smithfield 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Woonsocket with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Smithfield, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Smithfield, RI
11 Assisted Living Facilities near Smithfield, RI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Smithfield
The suburban town of Smithfield is just minutes away from Providence, the capital of Rhode Island. Known as the Ocean State's Apple Valley for its abundance of orchards and with 19.7 percent of its population being 65 and above, Smithfield offers a relaxed community for nature-loving seniors.
Smithfield is home to four assisted living facilities including two in the village of Greenville, and there are 10 others in surrounding towns and cities such as Johnston, Cumberland and Woonsocket. These facilities are licensed to operate as assisted living residences (ALRs) by the Center for Health Facilities Regulation of the Rhode Island Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Smithfield
- Aside from the relatively chilly winters and pleasantly cool summers that occur in Smithfield, the amount of rainfall is higher than the national average. Seniors and their caregivers need extra precaution during stormy weather conditions.
- Retirees need to consider the tax landscape of Rhode Island when budgeting for assisted living in Smithfield as Social Security income is partially taxed. Retirement account withdrawals and private and public pensions are fully taxable. However, despite the high cost of living in Smithfield, most groceries and all prescription drugs are exempt from sales tax.
- Smithville is safer than 60 percent of the communities across the United States where violent crimes occur at small rates, and the majority of crimes committed in the town are under the non-violent theft category.
- Low-income seniors and persons with disabilities in Smithfield enjoy reduced fares on RIPTA fixed bus routes that let passengers travel around the town and to other areas throughout Rhode Island. Community residents 55+ are also offered transportation to the Smithfield Senior Center and to other destinations within the town such as doctor’s clinics, shops, salons, banks and pharmacies.
- The friendly community and historic town of Smithfield offers interesting arts and culture activities for seniors. Aside from enjoyable quilting and singing sessions, the Smithfield Senior Center conducts trips to operas in nearby Providence and to other states and countries. Various events are held in the Smith-Appleby Museum such as arts and crafts workshops, musical performances and themed open house tours.
- The Smithfield area is home to world-class medical facilities including Coastal Medical Greenville and Ocean State Smithfield Urgent Care in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Smithfield
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Rhode Island
Assisted Living costs in Smithfield start around $4,025 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Smithfield and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Smithfield
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Rhode Island page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Rhode Island page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Smithfield
Smithfield and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Smithfield, please visit our Assisted Living in Rhode Island page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Smithfield
Smithfield-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Rhode Island are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Rhode Island page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Smithfield
Review of The Village at Waterman Lake
My mother was in the Village at Waterman Lake before she went to memory care. We visited them, and they impressed us the most. Everyone was very friendly, obliging, and efficient. Read more
Review of Smithfield Woods Senior Living
I'm interested in Brookdale Smithfield. It was very nice and I had a very good tour. The person was very helpful and I liked the place very much. The rooms were very good and spacious enough. One r... Read more
Review of The Village at Waterman Lake
We visited The Village at Waterman Lake. The layout was fine. It was clean and very nice, and had a beautiful view of the lake. I was impressed with it, and the people were professional. I did not ... Read more