Assisted Living in Newtown

33 Communities

The Birches at Newtown

70 Durham Road, Newtown, PA
$$$$
POAreviewer: "The Birches is a relatively new assisted living facility in Newtown, PA. The apartments are sufficiently large and are designed to accommodate residents with limited mobility. The dining room food selection for breakfast, lunch, and dinner is limited. The presentations are bland and require individual seasoning. The kitchen does their best to accommodate residents with special food requests. Support staff is minimal. One assisting staff member to each floor and wing. ... (read more)

Pickering Manor

226 North Lincoln Avenue, Newtown, PA
$$$$
Thomas: "Pickering Manor is a very nice, very clean, and a very well run place. They have a limited number of units, so I'm not sure that it is necessarily a place for me. However, I was very impressed with the assisted living. It's a good place. I had been there at other times seeing other people, and it was always very clean, and the staff was always very helpful. I was impressed with the staff."

Chandler Hall

99 Barclay Street, Newtown, PA
$$$$
ItchyB: "After what I saw & my family experienced, I would not in good conscious recommend Chandler Hall's rehab wing/nursing home, or assisted living wing to anyone (I can't speak to their independent living area as I have no first hand experience with that portion. My father, who suffers from dementia, was at Chandler for close to a three week period. He had two rehab stays, each lasting a week long, as well as a 5 day respite stay in the Hicks Memory Care assisted living unit... (read more)

Friends Village

331 Lower Dolington Rd, Newtown, PA
$$$$
Staten Island: "FOR OUR FAMILY AND DAD IT'S PERFECT!.WARM , COZY, FRIENDLY. EXACTLY WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR. ...... "

Friends Home

50 South Congress Street, Newtown, PA
1 review
Senior Care Planning: "This intimate Personal Care Home is nestled in the historical Borough of Newtown,Pa. It's victorian charm resembles a Bed and Breakfast of yesteryear, where high tea might be served in the late afternoon. This is a highly social model style facility that really embraces one as they walk through the door. The care and assistance provided is of a high calibre and the residents appear quite comfortable and social. The building is far from new, but is very well-maintained and c... (read more)

Brookdale Northampton

65 Newtown-Richboro Road, Richboro, PA
$$$$
Reviewer: "Brookdale Northampton was very good. I was there for two to three weeks. Everybody that I came in contact with was very caring and did a very nice job. I wasn't there for a very long time so I didn't experience any real difficulties. The food was good. I talked to some of the residents who were much worse than me. If I had to go back to a place like that again, I might consider going there."
yrs

Sunrise of Lower Makefield

631 Stony Hill Rd, Yardley, PA
$$$$
Carol: "Sunrise of Lower Makefield was nice, beautiful, clean, and welcoming. They have very friendly staff. The apartments I saw were very nice."

Woodbourne Place

2619 Trenton Road, Levittown, PA
$$$$
FRV: "I went to Woodbourne Place three times, and I really liked it. It was clean, it was friendly, and there were things going on. It was nice outside, they go on trips, it has a lot of amenities, and it was in the price range I was looking for. The staff member was great, very friendly, and informative. She even checked in with me twice, and gave me a lot of resources, because I was in a strange place, and I didn't even know where I was. The only available were studio, so those ... (read more)

Oakwood Residence

2109 RED LION ROAD, Philadelphia, PA
$$$$
Stanley: "I'm interested in Oakwood Residence, but it's costly. The rooms look like they belong in a five-star hotel. The activities were great and include live entertainment. Everything about the place was really nice. I just wish it was more accessible for people of lower income."

The Landing at Willow Grove

1120 York Road, Willow Grove, PA
$$$$
Kate: "The Landing at Willow Grove had beautiful scenery on the outside. The hallways though were very narrow. When we got off the elevator, the first smell I got was the smell of urine, which kind of put me off. The rooms were OK, but there's nothing really fancy about it. The room sizes were fine, but nothing jumped out at me. The food was good, but I didn't see a lot of co-mingling of the residents in the dining room, which seemed odd to me. They weren't talking to one another a... (read more)

At A Glance

There are 33 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Newtown is $4,294 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.

Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Newtown area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.

• See more than 20 reviews of assisted living communities in the Newtown area from residents and their loved ones.
  • Browse our comprehensive directory of 33 assisted living communities in the Newtown area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Newtown

Newtown, Pennsylvania, is part of the Philadelphia metro area. This quaint borough has a history stretching back to Colonial times, from its founding by William Penn to the construction of residences that are now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The population is nearly 20,000, with 11.3 percent of them seniors over 65. Newtown is home to 23 assisted living facilities to accommodate this population, with a further 232 in Philadelphia. These assisted living facilities in Pennsylvania are regulated and licensed by the PA Department of Human Services. Caretakers who will be giving residents unsupervised assistance with daily living tasks are required to complete separate courses and testing

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Newtown

• Newtown weather is characterized by a full four seasons, with warm summers and cold, snowy winters. July highs reach 82, while January lows are around 18. While hurricanes may impact the Atlantic Coast, they are unusual.

• Cost of living in Newtown is well above the national average, at 137.1 compared against a base of 100. Grocery costs are in line with the national average, while healthcare is 20 percent higher. The largest difference is housing, which is more than double the national average. This could impact the cost for residents in assisted living.

• Violent crime rates in Newtown are slightly higher than the national average, while property crime rates are about two-thirds lower. Seniors are still advised to use caution when visiting Philadelphia or nearby Trenton.

• Residents in Newtown may use the SEPTA light rail and bus lines from Philadelphia. The SEPTA provides free rides to seniors over 65 with an ID card. They may also use the New Jersey Transit Authority to visit cities in New Jersey or to New York.

• Newtown, as a suburb of Philadelphia, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.

• The Newtown area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Mary Medical Center and Penn Medicine Bucks County, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.

Paying for Assisted Living in Newtown

$4,772.00 Hatboro
$4,294.00 Newtown
$4,000.00 US
$3,250.00 Bensalem

Assisted Living costs in Newtown start around $4,294 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.

It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Newtown and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Newtown

Pennsylvania seniors like those in Newtown who receive Medicaid may be eligible for "Medicaid Waivers," which are also called the Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) Waivers or Waiver Funded Services. Eligibility is determined based on whether the cost of assisted living is less than that of a nursing home.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Newtown

Newtown and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Newtown

Newtown-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.