Assisted Living in Newtown
The Birches at Newtown70 Durham Road, Newtown, PA
Pickering Manor226 North Lincoln Avenue, Newtown, PA
Chandler Hall99 Barclay Street, Newtown, PA
Friends Home50 South Congress Street, Newtown, PA
Brookdale Northampton65 Newtown-Richboro Road, Richboro, PA
Woodbourne Place2619 Trenton Road, Levittown, PA
Oakwood Residence2109 RED LION ROAD, Philadelphia, PA
The Landing at Willow Grove1120 York Road, Willow Grove, PA
At A Glance
There are 33 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Newtown is $4,294 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Newtown area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 20 reviews of assisted living communities in the Newtown area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 33 assisted living communities in the Newtown area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Newtown
Newtown, Pennsylvania, is part of the Philadelphia metro area. This quaint borough has a history stretching back to Colonial times, from its founding by William Penn to the construction of residences that are now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The population is nearly 20,000, with 11.3 percent of them seniors over 65. Newtown is home to 23 assisted living facilities to accommodate this population, with a further 232 in Philadelphia. These assisted living facilities in Pennsylvania are regulated and licensed by the PA Department of Human Services. Caretakers who will be giving residents unsupervised assistance with daily living tasks are required to complete separate courses and testing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Newtown
- Newtown weather is characterized by a full four seasons, with warm summers and cold, snowy winters. July highs reach 82, while January lows are around 18. While hurricanes may impact the Atlantic Coast, they are unusual.
Cost of living in Newtown is well above the national average, at 137.1 compared against a base of 100. Grocery costs are in line with the national average, while healthcare is 20 percent higher. The largest difference is housing, which is more than double the national average. This could impact the cost for residents in assisted living.
- Violent crime rates in Newtown are slightly higher than the national average, while property crime rates are about two-thirds lower. Seniors are still advised to use caution when visiting Philadelphia or nearby Trenton.
- Residents in Newtown may use the SEPTA light rail and bus lines from Philadelphia. The SEPTA provides free rides to seniors over 65 with an ID card. They may also use the New Jersey Transit Authority to visit cities in New Jersey or to New York.
- Newtown, as a suburb of Philadelphia, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- The Newtown area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Mary Medical Center and Penn Medicine Bucks County, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Newtown
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Newtown start around $4,294 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Newtown and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Newtown
Pennsylvania seniors like those in Newtown who receive Medicaid may be eligible for "Medicaid Waivers," which are also called the Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) Waivers or Waiver Funded Services. Eligibility is determined based on whether the cost of assisted living is less than that of a nursing home.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Newtown
Newtown and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Newtown
Newtown-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.