Assisted Living in Huntington
Maryville Adult Home, Inc70 Greenlawn Road, Huntington, NY
Missionary Sisters of St. Benedict350 Cuba Hill Road, Huntington, NY
Somerset Gardens Senior Living150 Sunnyside Blvd, Plainview, NY
Sunrise of Dix Hills337 Deer Park Road, Huntington Station, NY
Atria Huntington165 Beverly Road, Huntington Station, NY
Atria Plainview12 Washington Avenue, Plainview, NY
Atria East Northport10 Cheshire Place, East Northport, NY
Christian Fellowship House369 Split Rock Road, Syosset, NY
Harbor House150 South Street, Oyster Bay, NY
Sunrise of Plainview1231 Old Country Road, Plainview, NY
At A Glance
There are 19 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Huntington is $5,500 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Huntington area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 12 reviews of assisted living communities in the Huntington area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 19 assisted living communities in the Huntington area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Huntington
Huntington, New York, is located 40 miles northeast of New York City on the north shore of Long Island. The city is comprised of an approximate 17 percent senior population. In the state of New York, assisted living facilities are referred to as adult care facilities and are defined as centers providing long-term, non-medical residential services to adults who cannot live independently due to a myriad of factors. There are 30 ACFs in the greater Huntington area, with three directly within the city limits. These ACFs are regulated by the New York State Department of Health and are divided into three separate types of facilities: adult homes, enriched housing programs and residencies for adults.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Huntington
- The Huntington area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Huntington Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Huntington has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Town of Huntington Senior Center, an organization that offers seniors a wide variety of programs, activities, events and volunteer opportunities.
- The overall cost of living in Huntington is 27 percent more expensive than the New York state average. Seniors will find grocery, transportation and health care costs cheaper in Huntington than the averages for the state of New York but will find housing and utilities more expensive.
- Huntington has a crime rate of around 12 crimes per 1,000 citizens, approximately the same as the average crime rate for other towns of its size across the nation. Seniors choosing to move to Huntington will find that the area's crime rate is lower than 41 percent of all other New York cities.
- The Huntington Area Rapid Transit mass transportation system provides public transit to seniors in the Huntington area. Elderly citizens qualify for discounted fares that are reduced to one-third of the regular price, and they can ride fixed routes or curb-to-curb paratransit routes by making a reservation in advance.
- The air quality in Huntington is approximately 8 percent higher than the national average air quality. This is determined by the number of toxic air pollutants and should be considered by seniors who plan to spend time out-of-doors.
Paying for Assisted Living in Huntington
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Huntington start around $5,500 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Huntington and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Huntington
In Huntington, like the rest of the state of New York, up to 4,200 eligible seniors can receive financial assistance for assisted living through Medicaid's Assisted Living Program waiver, even if applicants are self-paying.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Huntington
Huntington and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Huntington
Huntington-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.