Care Advantage Review
Richmond-based Care Advantage has served customers in Virginia and surrounding states in the Mid-Atlantic region since 1988. It is owned by BelHealth Investment Partners and was founded by RN Debbie Johnson who identified a need for intermediate in-home care among patients who were being discharged from the hospital but hadn’t fully recovered.
Today, Care Advantage provides a full range of non-medical and skilled in-home services. The company’s personal care aides offer housekeeping, companionship, and one-on-one assistance with daily activities. The company is also a Medicare-approved home health agency, which gives clients access to registered nurses, therapists, social workers, and home health aides who can provide advanced personal and medical care. Care Advantage has a four-hour minimum for in-home services, and overnight care is available. The company also offers supplemental staffing for health care facilities that have temporary vacancies or short-term staffing shortages.
Thanks to private equity funding, the company has more than a dozen offices in Northern Virginia and also provides services in Maryland, Delaware, and Washington, D.C., under the names Team Nurse, Allegiance Home Care, Ready Hands, and Capital City Nurses. Staff members enjoy working for the company and value the family-friendly atmosphere. Clients appreciate the staff’s responsiveness, professionalism, and ability to adjust the care plan as needed.
What You Need to Know About Care Advantage
- Care Advantage is a regional nurse-founded, investor-owned company with more than 30 years of experience.
- Services are available in Virginia, Washington, D.C., and surrounding communities in Maryland and Delaware.
- The brand offers in-home personal care and medical services as a Medicare-registered home health agency.
- Employees give the company high marks for its training programs, flexibility, and positive work environment.
- In-home care is available around the clock and overnight with a four-hour minimum.
What Senior Care Services Does Care Advantage Provide?
Personal Care Services
With Care Advantage, most nonmedical in-home services are provided by personal care aides. This support helps clients with daily activities and household tasks as well as errands, transportation, and outings. Care Advantage provides the following services in Northern Virginia and the surrounding areas:
- Personal Care: This includes one-on-one assistance with daily personal care and hygiene tasks, such as bathing, dressing, grooming, toileting, and incontinence management.
- Household Help: Personal care aides can also help with household chores, such as changing the sheets, doing laundry, vacuuming, and light housekeeping.
- Companion Care: Individuals who live at home on their own may benefit from companions who can provide conversation, transportation, medication reminders, or emotional support.
- Mobility Assistance: In-home attendants can assist with transfers, turning, walking, and physical exercise to ensure that clients maintain their health and mobility while reducing the risk of falls.
- Nutritional Support: Personal care aides can help clients with meal preparation, planning, and eating. They can also develop strategies for meeting nutritional and dietary requirements.
Care Advantage understands the importance of personal preferences and focuses on matching clients with the right PCA for their needs. They also allow clients to customize their care plan and schedule for maximum flexibility. Services are designed to complement the company’s C.A.R.E. model, which emphasizes the importance of the following attributes:
- Compassion: Care Advantage has a passion for serving clients, families, and health care workers.
- Attitude: Staff members believe in the importance of a positive can-do attitude when serving clients.
- Respect: Business leaders take the time to celebrate diversity and appreciate everyone’s unique story.
- Excellence: The company’s specially trained staff is committed to providing excellent care.
Families can schedule a free in-home assessment to get started or to learn more about their options. All personal care aides are employed by Care Advantage, and the company is licensed, bonded, and insured for peace of mind.
Skilled Home Health Care Services
In addition to offering nonmedical personal assistance, Care Advantage is a Medicare-registered home health agency that employs a team of nurses, therapists, and skilled medical professionals. These services are ideal for individuals who have one or more chronic conditions or need additional support following a surgery or hospital admission. Some examples are:
- Physical therapy to enhance strength, mobility, and balance
- Occupational therapy to improve home safety and reduce the risk of falls
- Speech therapy to help with swallowing and certain cognitive disorders
- Medical social services to provide emotional support and encourage maximum independence
- Home health aides that provide one-on-one personal assistance
- Skilled nursing, including assistance with medications, IV fusions, and wound care
The goal of these services is to reduce the risk of hospital readmissions while helping clients recover in their own homes. Staff members focus on assessing and improving patient safety, educating clients and their family members and providing tools to help individuals manage their medical conditions at home.
- Service plans are developed with the client’s own physician.
- Care Advantage employs licensed professionals for enhanced peace of mind.
- In-home supports promote knowledge, independence, and healing.
- Caregivers emphasize the importance of personal preferences.
- The company offers patient-centered, results-driven care.
Care Advantage specializes in helping seniors who are recovering from an illness or injury or living with a disability. Personalized service plans are designed to help individuals remain in the comfort of their own home while protecting their health and safety. Caregivers collaborate with clients and their families and physicians to provide a full continuum of care that meets every need.
The company’s medical team includes registered nurses and licensed practical nurses who can provide comprehensive care, such as performing physical exams, taking vital signs, caring for wounds, managing medications, and monitoring IV therapies. Unlike basic home care, these skilled services are often covered by Medicare.
What People Are Saying About Care Advantage
Long-term care professionals enjoy working for Care Advantage. They appreciate the company’s flexible scheduling policies, comprehensive training programs, and wonderful care team. Despite some issues with inconsistencies between different staff members, clients are happy with the care, information, and support they receive.
Representatives are quick to address issues or make changes according to clients, “They tried to send the same caregiver each time, and my MIL enjoyed their company and bonded with some of them. There were a few she had issues with, and Care Advantage was quick to make a satisfactory change.” Another client stated, “The most delicate part of my world, my mother was in their hands and so well taken care of.”
Even when dealing with complex issues, such as dementia, the care team receives excellent feedback, “Care Advantage fulfilled all my requests for care promptly … Their nurse, Kayla, was especially helpful to me in understanding my wife’s dementia. I would be happy to recommend these folks anytime.” Although long-term care planning can be a difficult process, clients say that representatives at Care Advantage made the “experience better than can be imagined.”
How Much Does Care Advantage Charge for Home Care?
Home care costs vary based on several factors, including the type of services required, how often one needs assistance, and the timing of the services (i.e., overnight vs. daytime care). Where you live also has a significant impact on the cost of home care, as national chains scale their local prices to the cost of living in a given area.
When planning for home care costs, keep in mind that the national average cost is about $24 per hour, though prices in your location may be higher or lower. You can contact a Family Advisor at (800) 973-1540 to learn more about home care costs and payment options in your area.
Who Should Consider Care Advantage?
Care Advantage stands out for its years of experience and comprehensive medical and nonmedical capabilities. The company has a significant number of local and regional offices across Maryland, Delaware, Washington, D.C., and Virginia, and its services are ideal for individuals with advanced physical or medical needs. Here are a few reasons to choose Care Advantage if you’re looking for home health care or homemaker services.
- Clients can sign up for personal care and household services or medical support. Caregivers provide services consistent with an assisted living or memory care facility.
- Service plans are ideal for clients who need at least four hours of weekly service as well as those who require overnight or around-the-clock supervision.
- Care Advantage is a smart choice for seniors who want to receive all of their medical and personal care through one agency.
How to Get Started with Care Advantage
Contact a Family Advisor at (800) 973-1540 for more information about Care Advantage’s offerings in your area and to connect with a local home care provider. Our knowledgeable Family Advisors can provide one-on-one guidance to help you find the best home care service for your needs and budget, all at no cost to you. No matter where you are in the process of choosing a home care provider, a Family Advisor can help.